PDA

View Full Version : Going lighter baby!

Alley Cat
04-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Given my "slightly" aging body, more powerful opponents, and taking into consideration NoBadMojo's good advice; I have decided to put aside my 12 oz. frames (LM Prestige MP and a 12 oz. Vantage) and give a good look-see at some 11-11.5 oz sticks. I have a relatively flat game (working on more spin!), 2H BH, all court style and am about a 4.5. I am interested in the MFil 300, Volkl DNX 8, Yonex 003, and Technifibre TFight 315 (although the 325 sounds interesting but as heavy as my current frames). Any feedback from those that might have tried these frames, or other suggestions? I realize that these sticks range from 10.9-11.5 ounces but they sound interesting. I hope to demo for a couple of weeks and narrow it down to one for a long term try. Thanks!

Edit: BTW, I have done a search and gotten some feedback on the individual frames. I am also interested in other ideas or if any of you have compared some of these. Thank you

moosryan
04-11-2006, 02:40 PM
consider any variation of the Radical while you're at it.

The Ripper
04-11-2006, 06:08 PM
I've played with M-Fils quite a bit and suggested a friend buy the MF300. I like that racket a lot. Very good control, slightly head-heavy, but overall weight is light so is easy to play with. I've never used it against a really hard hitter/server, so don't no how stable it would be, but based on my experience with the MF200 and MF200+, the 300 should be pretty good (somewhere in between the two 200's).

I would definitely demo it if I were you. BTW, I play with Vantages and love the feel of the frame. Why not just retweak the Vantage? I'm getting a little older myself and have backed off a little bit from the 12.4 oz. category frames. Right now I am at 330 gms./317 mm on a Vantage 95 and will be getting a 340/317mm Vantage 90 by the end of the week. Finally decided to commit to a 90" head for quicker handling and better angles.

Anyhow, good luck in your search. Looks like the new Volkl 10 got good reviews, also the Wilson nBlade. Maybe worth a try!

Alley Cat
04-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Ripper, good stuff...especially confirming my thoughts about Vantage. Nice frames. I will demo the Dunlop 300 though among others for comparison. Thanks

bluegrasser
04-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Going from the Prestige, the 300 mfil would be a good fit IMO.

cabernetjunkie
04-12-2006, 07:05 AM
I would give the Radical line of racquets a strong look also. If you are already used to the Head grip shape, and hit the ball flat that would be a good choice. If you are trying to adapt more spin to your game try the m-fil 300 or the Ficsher pro tour(you can add a little lead tape and its a solid hit).

Caswell
04-12-2006, 07:43 AM
I went with the M-Fil 300, but that was before the M-Fil 200+ 2006 was available. Moving from an older player's racquet, I think I might have gone with it over the M-Fil 300 - a bit heavier and more headlight (about where I have my M-Fil 300's with lead), but retaining the more open string pattern. The only thing that makes me question the M-Fil 200+ 2006 is the stiffness - TW is reporting the M-Fil 200+ 2006 as 64 vs. the M-Fil 300's 61, despite the wider beam on the M-Fil 300.

Ennismt
04-12-2006, 07:54 AM
I've played with the LM prestige MP and the TF 315. I switched to the TF 315 to get a lighter racquet that was similar to the LM. There is more power with the TF 315 but it may not be lighter. My 315 weighed in at 11.8 oz strung w/o my overgrip, similar to my LM. I'd make sure that the racquet you buy is the weight and balance your looking for. I believe TW will do this for you. The specs can be misleading. Some mention of the TF being a harsh hit. I'd say it becomes more similar to the LM if you string it at the lower range with soft string. This makes up for the stiffer frame for the most part. I'm a 4.0 all-court player who's getting older (40ish) and looking to move to the lighter more powerful racquets to make up for the lost step and aches and pains.

stevewcosta
04-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Congrats! Light racquets suck.

In D Zone
04-12-2006, 09:53 AM
I love playing with the M Fil 300.

I also suggest you testing out the Wilson N Tour 95 and the Fischer Pro #1 FT as well.

Alley Cat
04-12-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the well thought out post :) I'll return the favor when you are looking for help.

louis netman
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Although I tend to agree, that's a rather bold statement. I'm sure lighter may be better in some situations/levels of tennis. There's been alot of talk about higher racquet-head-speed etc., and this typically has no effect on some important aspects of high level tennis. That is, 1) the return of high-speed or out of reach serves, and 2) volleys. These shots are an important element/necessity to some, if not most high-level players. There is typically little to no racqet-head-speed in these shots. Due to the low velocity of a typical blocked return or volley, without significant mass, there will be no significant momentum of shot, according to Newton...

Alley Cat
04-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Although I tend to agree, that's a rather bold statement. I'm sure lighter may be better in some situations/levels of tennis. There's been alot of talk about higher racquet-head-speed etc., and this typically has no effect on some important aspects of high level tennis. That is, 1) the return of high-speed or out of reach serves, and 2) volleys. These shots are an important element/necessity to some, if not most high-level players. There is typically little to no racqet-head-speed in these shots. Due to the low velocity of a typical blocked return or volley, without significant mass, there will be no significant momentum of shot, according to Newton...

Good points. I believe that is why I have been unable to gravitate toward racquets under say 11.7 oz. or so. As in my original post, I am giving this a try to compare my game with a slightly lighter racquet with my current 12 oz. game. It should be interesting. Thanks

lucky leprechaun
04-12-2006, 10:40 AM

It's easier for a heavier racquet to counter spin, especially on the serve and volleys, and also on heavy groundstrokes. BUT, it's easier to attack a serve or or get back any kind of reaction reach shot whether at net or returning when not setup correctly. The former is more advanced stuff, but the latter is more advantageous to more people.

backcourt
04-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Alley Cat. As you've probably seen I have posted on the 003 quite a bit. But just would add that at least in the 5/8 grip size, it is not a "light racquet".
I haven't had a chance to weigh mine yet, but with the thin overgip I have on it I would guess its up around 11.7. I understand Yonex racquets may vary in weight by grip size and I assume that's what's going on here. I think the main tweenerish quality of the racquet is its thick beam and additional power from that, but it still has good control. Worth a demo.

stevewcosta
04-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Nothing personal, I guess just ill-directed frustration Alley Cat. I probably won't need rac. advice unfortunately since there's not much good out there after buying 20 different frames in 3 yrs. Have a good one and best of luck.

Alley Cat
04-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Nothing personal, I guess just ill-directed frustration Alley Cat. I probably won't need rac. advice unfortunately since there's not much good out there after buying 20 different frames in 3 yrs. Have a good one and best of luck.

No worries....I have been in the same boat and feel your frustration. Something tells me I will end up where I started with this whole thing....oh well. You too; have a good one.

d wayne
04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
I am currently using the mFil300 and have been happy with it. I am 47 yo and find the lighter weight has helped my serve. Forehand has been solid but am still trying to find the groove on my 1 hand bh.

No one has mentioned the Tecnifibre 305- it is approx 11.3 oz strung. I tried it on a demo & would have bought it if the mFil had not felt so nice in my demo(and had a great price was a bonus). The Tecnifibre 305 served great, but I felt like I needed a lot of spin to keep groundies in play, felt heavier than its listed weight and was very solid.

sureshs
04-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I am hearing good things about the O3 White. 11.3 oz and as powerful as the N6.1 95.

barry
04-12-2006, 02:34 PM
I am hearing good things about the O3 White. 11.3 oz and as powerful as the N6.1 95.

I just tried one out: Here were the spec's

Prince O3 White grip 4 5/8, L5
Unstrung 11.2 ounces
Gamma Leather grip 11.4 ounces
Gauze tape added 11.6 ounces
Balance 8 point head Light
Strung weight 12.2 ounces

sureshs
04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
I just tried one out: Here were the spec's

Unstrung 11.2 ounces

With your mods, it is the weight range which OP wants to avoid. Did you play with it in stock form?

bee
04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
If I was going to try a lighter racquet I'd try that AeroPro Drive. I think it's listed as 11.3 oz. But, my LM Prestige Mid serves so well and generally plays so well when strung with natural gut at about 56#...

Hey, maybe you need a heavier, not lighter racquet. The LM MP seemed too light but the Mid just right.

The idea of getting something that help impart more topspin is appealing. I really like the way that Nadal fellow plays. I call myself El Gato now on the court, so I guess we have a certain kinship.

Adios amigo!

ace of spades
04-12-2006, 03:41 PM
I had a really hard time adjusting to a lighter racket.
I recently bought a fxp prestige mp to add on to mu lm prestige mp's (same price so why not). My lm prestiges have a few grams of lead on the head and a leather grip s0 thay weight about 12.7 oz. My fxp prestige with a little lead on the head weighed in at 12.2 oz, and I had a really hard time playing with it. Once i addded a lot more lead it played fine. When it was light i found i had timing difficulty and i felt my shots were not heavy enough.

The Ripper
04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I demoed a Prince White a couple weeks ago and thought it was great! Comfortable, solid, smooth and a really nice compromise between an all-out player's racket and a lightweight tweener. If I didn't like the Vantages so much I would definitely consider the White.

barry
04-12-2006, 05:44 PM
With your mods, it is the weight range which OP wants to avoid. Did you play with it in stock form?

No mods just surprised it weighed 11.2 ounces unstrung. Strung would be almost 12 ounces. So the listings are not correct. I used a digital postal scale. It is a heavier racket than advertised. The racket plays a lot like the Prince NXG mid.

Unstrung 11.2 ounces

sureshs
04-12-2006, 07:55 PM
No mods just surprised it weighed 11.2 ounces unstrung. Strung would be almost 12 ounces. So the listings are not correct. I used a digital postal scale. It is a heavier racket than advertised. The racket plays a lot like the Prince NXG mid.

Unstrung 11.2 ounces

Or it could be the manufacturing tolerances (bordering on intolerant!)

I was thinking of the O3 White as a backup for my N6.1 95. If it weighs the same 12 or so strung, I don't see the point. Local pro shop has this racquet - I will get them to weigh it for me.

jonolau
04-12-2006, 09:02 PM
IMO, I did try and go from players' racquets to slightly lighter as I felt that my body was aging, but it totally screwed up my game.

Perhaps it gave me the false perception that I could be slightly lazier with my preparation because of the addtional power.

In the end, I stuck with my old frames and went on a fitness regime that has not only improved my game, but also extended to overall holistic physical and mental improvement. I feel even better than when I was in my 20s!

barry
04-13-2006, 02:27 AM
[QUOTE=sureshs]Or it could be the manufacturing tolerances (bordering on intolerant!)

Simple point, the racket weight is determined by grip size and if you have an L5 then the O3 White weighs 11.2 ounces unstrung. If you have a 4 1/4 then it will probably be 11.2 ounces strung. Information posted is only for a specific grip size. TW list the O3 white strung at 11.3 ounces, my strung racket without all the items was 11.8 ounces.

Found this to be true on (DNX 9, O3 Tour, Wilson Surge, Head FXP radical, etc...). Also the O3 White uses a rubber pallet which absorbs a lot of the shock. It is difficult to get anything to stick to it, but is a built in vibration dampener.

sureshs
04-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks. Didn't know grip size changes could add almost a stringing job worth of weight. I use a 4 1/2 so it will be more than 11.3 for me (which is probably a 3/8 size quoted by TW)

NoBadMojo
04-13-2006, 11:00 AM
[quote=sureshs]Or it could be the manufacturing tolerances (bordering on intolerant!)

Simple point, the racket weight is determined by grip size .

This isnt true. The only company known to weight differently by gripsize is Yonex and nobody can really confrm they even do anymore, and if so on which models and how much the difference is. The larger gripsized handle pallets <may> weigh slightly more than the smaller ones, but the difference would be pretty incidental and insignificant <especially in regards to swingweight>

barry
04-13-2006, 01:22 PM
[quote=barry]

This isnt true. The only company known to weight differently by gripsize is Yonex and nobody can really confrm they even do anymore, and if so on which models and how much the difference is. The larger gripsized handle pallets <may> weigh slightly more than the smaller ones, but the difference would be pretty incidental and insignificant <especially in regards to swingweight>

The prince O3 pallet is rubber and I assume to compensate for the increase in handle weight, they add weight in the upper section to maintain the balance.
I can only report on my experience with rackets since I use L5 grips and weighing them on my digital postal scale.

On the Volkl Dnx 9 I purchased, it was a 4 1/2 grip size and weighed 11.8 ounces strung. The web site shows Weight 310 g | 10.9 oz, I must be using really heavy string!

Alley Cat
04-13-2006, 01:24 PM
IMO, I did try and go from players' racquets to slightly lighter as I felt that my body was aging, but it totally screwed up my game.

Perhaps it gave me the false perception that I could be slightly lazier with my preparation because of the addtional power.

In the end, I stuck with my old frames and went on a fitness regime that has not only improved my game, but also extended to overall holistic physical and mental improvement. I feel even better than when I was in my 20s!

Hey, jonolau.....what frame are you now using? Thanks for the post

Bora
04-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Well, I keep buying 11 ounce sticks and then leading them up as I play with them to make them as stable as I am used to. Actually, there are some very stable sticks at that weight but they can't produce a heavy enough ball without sacrificing manueverability. Finally, I gave up and won't consider anything lighter than 11.5 ounces now. My recent favs are the Fischer Magnetic Pro One 11.8 or 11.9 and Fischer Pro Tour FT (12.2, I think)

Alley Cat
04-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Well, I am going to try the MFill 300, DNX 8 and Yonex 003 for the next week or two. It might be shorter if I feel shoulder/arm pain or it immediately is obvious that this old body needs the heavier stick that I have been used to for over 30 years. Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll report back (I'm sure that you are all holding your breath :) )