PDA

View Full Version : Can dampeners die over a period of time?

Skppr05
04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I was just curious if damperners die when used for a very prolonged amount of time. Mine usually fly off before I could answer this question myself

ShcMad
04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
I definitely think they can. I believe that the shock from hitting the ball is trasmitted to the dampener very easily and almost directly. So, the repetitive stress could cause the dampener to become "useless" over time.
I use rubber bands as dampeners, and this weekend, after playing about 4 hours, the rubber band came flying off, and when I picked it up off the ground, it was almost torn apart.

Jess
04-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Like all things, I think damps do lose their effectiveness after an extended period of use. I'm directly speaking about the smaller, logo-types like the Babolat Custom Damps for example, but I think the worm types die out too, like the Gamma Shockbuster. Rubberbands probably wear out faster since they're thinner and made of a relatively stretchy[er] material. And even if they don't die out, they probably get loose after a while too.

wyutani
04-12-2006, 03:31 PM
I definitely think they can. I believe that the shock from hitting the ball is trasmitted to the dampener very easily and almost directly. So, the repetitive stress could cause the dampener to become "useless" over time.
I use rubber bands as dampeners, and this weekend, after playing about 4 hours, the rubber band came flying off, and when I picked it up off the ground, it was almost torn apart.

torn apart? wow dude, i pity ur tennis opponent....anyway, i use rubber bands as dampener. it does get loose after some time (but not torn apart!). but its darn cheap. i can buy hundreds of em'....

VGP
04-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Rubber bands torn up? Sounds like you miss the sweetspot a lot....

Unique Sampras O's.....they last a very long time.

supremebeing
04-12-2006, 04:52 PM
No they do not. Maybe with age they stiffen up, but we are talking eons here.

thejackal
04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Rubberband get's f-ed up and crack if you leave it under the sun. That the reason I replaced mine back when i still used them

ShcMad
04-12-2006, 05:05 PM
torn apart? wow dude, i pity ur tennis opponent....anyway, i use rubber bands as dampener. it does get loose after some time (but not torn apart!). but its darn cheap. i can buy hundreds of em'....

lol...Trust me...I'm not that good of a player... I wish my opponents feared me :(
My shots still lack pace compared to better players, but for some odd reason, the rubber band was almost torn apart in half after 3-4 hrs. And, it was a new rubber band, too. My forehand was all over the place on that day, but it was one of those days when my backhand was on a steamroll.

ShcMad
04-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Rubber bands torn up? Sounds like you miss the sweetspot a lot....

Unique Sampras O's.....they last a very long time.

I do miss the sweetspot from time to time. I still have a long way to go since I've only been playing tennis for a year.

wyutani
04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
tie two rubber bands on the racquet, it tried it. tie one on the top racquent and another to the bottom, by doing this, you can practice hitting the ball on the sweet spot...