PDA

View Full Version : Best Beginner Racquet

Topherstein
04-11-2006, 04:43 PM
What would be a good beginner racquet for an athletic 16 year old who is interested in tennis?

Final_Match_Point
04-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Are you self learning? or getting a coach

Either way, the key is basics. You shouldnt really be trying to put any sort of spin on the ball, because youd prolly be doing it wrong. You have to learn to push the ball, along with proper footwork, stance, and follow through. If your going to play seriously, id get a racquet even balance, or 1-3 points head light such as the prince tt warrior/scream. and learn the basiics using that racquet, and then move up

If your just going to be a weekend player(just hitting with your friends) get any racquet you want. If you only gonna be playing about 2 horus a week, you could get a 8 points head heavy racquet form wilson(Lots of power, but bad long term for your arm)

Topherstein
04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I plan to take lessons.

LowProfile
04-11-2006, 07:17 PM
If you're athletic, go with a heavier tweener frame. That way, you'll develop good fundamentals on a racquet that your body can handle. Do not, under any circumstances, get a racquet that is over 5 points head heavy and under 10 ounces (i.e. the Wilson Hammers) if you value your arm.

I'd suggest an O3 White or DNX 8.

Eman
04-11-2006, 08:38 PM
This will not be a popular one but I think makes sense for a beginner. I suggest the Prince TT Scream. It comes in 2 sizes, MP and Oversize. I personally liked the Mid Plus but select whichever feels best.

The reason I suggest this is because it hits well for a beginner racket and it is not expensive. While I like the suggestions above for a racket, I think they are just too expensive to start with if you really aren't sure this is something that is going to be continued (or if there is a chance).

I think this rackets hits well for generally all styles of play. There are, of course, much better rackets (and I'll probably get flamed for this suggestion) but it is a solid beginner racket.

Young Pete
04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
a wood racquet.

92t0jackal
04-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Young Pete
Is that a joke or are you serious??

dbdynsty25
04-11-2006, 11:19 PM
This will not be a popular one but I think makes sense for a beginner. I suggest the Prince TT Scream.

Heh...it was suggested three posts before yours. Guess it's more popular than you think eh?

Final_Match_Point
04-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Lol i use a heavily modded TT-S o/s it has like 50grams of lead added on

Topherstein
04-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Ironically, I have been using a wood racquet to hit around up in the air in my backyard.

Topherstein
04-12-2006, 05:11 PM
any other good beginner racquets you all know of?

wyutani
04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
What would be a good beginner racquet for an athletic 16 year old who is interested in tennis?

Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus...cos tennis is IN THEIR BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!:p

montx
04-13-2006, 07:03 AM
I have been sold on one racquet alone, the Volkl Tour 10 Mp Gen II. I also think the slazenger pro x 1 is pretty good. If you can demo a few racquets and make mental notes of what your comfortable with, using also TW spec guidelines, it might help. It took me a while to figure out what to use, and I am content with the Volkl.

If your a beginner just pick a racquet you think has the right stats for you. Look at the specifications and knowing what you know about yourself ask yourself what is the best qualities to choose.

I chose a stable racquet with low swing weight though the volkl feels heavier when I am serving than when I am in groundstroke play.

Good Luck on finding your racquet!

rocket
04-13-2006, 07:19 AM

Dude, you're fine with your LM Prestige. Just string it @ 57lbs & focus on hitting a clean ball each time, every time. Keep the rally going & don't try to blast winners too soon. Apply more & more topspin as you begin to hit harder & harder. Get pleasure out of hitting the ball well before you think about winning points. :cool:

rocket
04-13-2006, 07:22 AM
I have been sold on one racquet alone, the Volkl Tour 10 Mp Gen II. I also think the slazenger pro x 1 is pretty good.

Yep, the slaz X1 is a good stick! :D

ssuHeartsRivald
04-13-2006, 07:27 AM

I'm not expert for this because i only taste a few beginner/intermediate racquets.

But i suggest you to try Dunlop 200g 108, it suitable for player that begin play tennis.

Topherstein
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. I think for right now I will learn using my prestige. I was also thinking about buying another one. I don't think I will ever find a new Prestige for less so I think I will get another one, put it in a case and bring it out in 50 years for the whole world to see. Just kidding, but I should get another prestige for when I have a match and break the string. I would also like to get a 'tweener just for hitting a ball back and forth.