PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I really need help...Racket

Eman
04-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok, I'm selecting a new racket and have been demoing locally but my selection is somewhat limited (live too far for TW program). I've probably paid enough in demo fees to almost buy a racket over the last 8 months.

My problem is that I can't find a racket that hits as well as the one I'm using. Lately it has developed a problem (its quite old, Prince Synergy DB) and it has no power. So, I have to get something fast.

I'm about a 3.0-3.5 player and I've played recreationally for 10 yrs. I'm starting to play on some usta teams locally and develop my game (but I'm 39 and realistic). I have a pretty full classic forehand (semi-western) with some topspin but more on the flat side (working on more margin for error).

I tend to feel most comfortable with a thinner beam, players style racket but I need a little more "pop" than my current racket provides. Oh, and I've just recently had a small elbow issue so nothing too stiff. My illusion is that I'd like something in the 10.5-11.5 weight range but I'm open-minded about weight.

Below are some comments on the rackets that I've tried, if that is helpful. Thanks for any help and / or comments. I'm getting desperate.
--------
Of all the rackets I've tried, I liked the feel of the FP Instinct but it was a little too powerful (hit long). Also, the LM Instinct and LM Radical feel really good but have not demoed. The swing weight feels a little heavy so I worry about hitting long with those as well.

Volkl DNX 10 - nice feel but too heavy and like the FP Instinct hit long.

Wil Blade - a little to classic and lack of power.

Bab. pure drive & Aero Drive - too thick and not enough control.

Tried most the Prince O3 Racks and only really liked the O3 Tour - It was a bit heavy and lacked some of the punch. I need something between it and the Instinct.
---------------

dmastous
04-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Try a couple of the Wilson nCoded racquets. The Six 0 one or the nTour (my stick) or the nSurge. They are all thin beamed players racquets, 95 sq in (they can also be had as oversized as well). My nTour has quite a bit of pop and the people I hit with say I have more spin now as well.

Eman
04-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Thanks. I may have to try the tour. I have tried some of the wilson Six's a while back. As I recall I had trouble with power.

I'll look into it.

barry
04-12-2006, 05:16 AM
Thanks. I may have to try the tour. I have tried some of the wilson Six's a while back. As I recall I had trouble with power.

I'll look into it.

After trying a variety of frames, (Dnx9, nsix-one, prince o3 white, etc..), I like the Surge best of all. It has decent power and control. I add 1/4 ounces of lead to the handle, which brings the weight up to 11.7 ounces. String my rackets at 55.

Great frame, also tried the Npro Open, way to light and lacks power for me.

Ace
04-12-2006, 05:43 AM
You mentioned the Babolat Pure Drive was too thick and not enough control.

Have you tried the Yonex RDX 500? I thought it was similar to the Babolat Pure Control (more control than the Pure Drive) but was also a thinner frame. I don't know that it would have more "pop" than your current racquet though.

Marius_Hancu
04-12-2006, 05:47 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

wyutani
04-12-2006, 05:54 AM
buy babolat and nothing else....cos tennis is IN THEIR BLOOD!!!!!! :D

milo
04-12-2006, 09:13 AM
i think babolat is new in the racquet business eventhough it is not in the string business

thomas martinez
04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
If you liked the Instinct, give a whirl to the Flexpoint Radical Tour. I believe possibly a bit lighter if not around the same weight as the Synergy 26DB, you have the nice open string bed which allows for a nice spin friendly bed similar to what you had with the SYnergy, just a thought since you said you liked the Instinct.

ace of spades
04-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I heard good things about the 03 white, i suggest you look into it more, seems like it might suit you (that is if you have not already tried it)