PDA

View Full Version : Bought 2 ncode 6.1 18 x 20's last month, Oh, Oh

basil J
04-12-2006, 06:13 AM
I have been loving this racquet. I bought two of them last month. They are spec'd at 11.7 unstrung with 12 pts. headlight balance. Both play great. I had them both restrung last night and asked my stringer to weigh them for me and and to my shock they were much different. Both strung with Klip adrenalin, head tape on the guard and tournagrip over grip, one was 13.5 oz and 12 pts. head light and the other one was 12.7 oz and 10 points headlight. I feel a slight difference between the two when I use them, but I did not realize that frames had so much variance off of the production line. Is this common with Wilson, or should I return one of the frames for a closer match, and can I return one of them? The heavier one feels a little different, but not enough to really notice, but now it is in my head...

Caswell
04-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Yikes. I was toying with the idea of buying a postal scale to match my racquets, but man... this makes me want to do it now!

tarkowski
04-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Yikes. I was toying with the idea of buying a postal scale to match my racquets, but man... this makes me want to do it now!

I did end up buying a postal scale! You may want to buy a ruler as well. :-|

One of the nSixOne 95 18x20 sticks I got from TW was 26.5 - 26.75 depending on where I measured to the crooked buttcap. It felt different (in hand) so I returned it. I didn't actually play with it, so TW replaced it - but I was out the stringing, which was gut. :mad:

Basil J,

I've got 3 nSixOne 95 18x20 sticks with 4 3/8 grip. I use Wilson O dampener and pro-overgrip, no tape anywhere. My sticks weigh 355, 357, 359 grams (12.5-12.7oz) which shows pretty good tolerance. I can get them identical by changing string dampeners - they're that close.

I would try to get your sticks matched. Not sure how much head-tape you have on the guard, but the 13.5oz seems pretty far off spec. I'd return it if you can.

basil J
04-12-2006, 07:50 AM
I called the rep that I bought the frames from and he said that since they have been played with, unless there is a crack or a break, that Wilson would not accept a return. He said that Wilson racquets can typically vary as much as 2oz. . that seems unacceptable to me. He offered to match them for me, so I may take him up on that. I am dissapointed with Wilson. When I used Dunlop 200g's they were always within 2/10 of an ounce. of each other. The 03 tours That I bought last summer were within 1/10 of an oz. of each other and I bought them from 2 different dealers. One has the specs in silver paint, one in black paint. I don't know if that means anything or not. 8/10 of an ounce may not seem like a lot of weight, but the heavier frame definitely plays a little heavier than my lighter one. I will have to strip the both of them down to the handles, weigh them and see if I can match weight with some lead tape. I was considering going to leather grips, but that would really weigh them down. None the less, still outstanding frames. I may have to get a third and see if that is even different....

loubapache
04-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Not really related to the Wilson racquets.

I just got two PK 5g strung with PSG 16G. Put both on the scale (with the damper) and each was 337.1 grams. I was extremely impressed.

Caswell
04-12-2006, 08:53 AM
...8/10 of an ounce may not seem like a lot of weight, but the heavier frame definitely plays a little heavier than my lighter one...

On it's own, I'd think 0.8 ounces is significant. You also have to wonder what's driving the extra 0.8 ounces (differences in material layup?), and what it's doing to the playing characteristics of the frame outside of the normal effects of weight and balance.

stevewcosta
04-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Not just Wilson. My 2 Diablos are like two different racs. Total BS!

tarkowski
04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
I called the rep that I bought the frames from and he said that since they have been played with, unless there is a crack or a break, that Wilson would not accept a return. He said that Wilson racquets can typically vary as much as 2oz. . that seems unacceptable to me. He offered to match them for me, so I may take him up on that. I am dissapointed with Wilson. When I used Dunlop 200g's they were always within 2/10 of an ounce. of each other. The 03 tours That I bought last summer were within 1/10 of an oz. of each other and I bought them from 2 different dealers. One has the specs in silver paint, one in black paint. I don't know if that means anything or not. 8/10 of an ounce may not seem like a lot of weight, but the heavier frame definitely plays a little heavier than my lighter one. I will have to strip the both of them down to the handles, weigh them and see if I can match weight with some lead tape. I was considering going to leather grips, but that would really weigh them down. None the less, still outstanding frames. I may have to get a third and see if that is even different....

2oz is the difference between an n5 and an nSixOne. Did he mean they can differ 2oz between models?

When I returned my racquet back to TW,they noted that Wilson does have tolerance levels that if exceeded, would warrant a refund - regardless if the racquet was used. The .25-.5 in length wasn't enough in my case - but I hadn't played with it.

.8oz is noticeable - especially when it's on the + side of a heavier racquet. Before doing any sanding, I'd talk to another Wilson rep or somebody at TW.

CAM178
04-12-2006, 09:46 AM
I called the rep and he said that Wilson racquets can typically vary as much as 2oz. . that seems unacceptable to me.
That better be unacceptable to you! You might want to clarify what he meant by that. If he meant that per frame, then call Wilson and tell them what that rep told you: guarantee you he'll get a phone call from Wilson corporate like yesterday. That is a crock.

0.2 oz I can see, but not 2.0 oz. No racket from the factory should differ by more than 0.2 oz.

The other thing you've got to determine is what type of racket this is: factory or demo? Some of the reps get a bunch of sticks for college teams, etc., and the variances are a bit more off on those. They are kind of like buying clothes from an outlet.

rocket
04-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I called the rep that I bought the frames from and he said that since they have been played with, unless there is a crack or a break, that Wilson would not accept a return. He said that Wilson racquets can typically vary as much as 2oz.

Don't they have that matched-pair program anymore?

BreakPoint
04-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Wilson is probably the worst as far as consistency. Their tolerances can vary wildly. I had two nSix-One Tours that were 0.5 oz. apart in weight.

I really can't understand why Wilson is unable to control their manufacturing quality and produce racquets more consistenly and closer to their target specs. I mean, aren't they the largest tennis racquet manufacturer in the world? And how long have they been making tennis racquets? :rolleyes:

basil J
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
When I got home from work, I stripped everything off the the frames and weighed them stock with just the stock gel grips that come with the frames. One was at 12.4 oz., one was at 12.7 oz. I had tourna grip on one and a prince over grip on the other. Wilson head tape on one and gamma head tape on the other. The wilson head tape and the prince overgrip seemed to have made up the heavier.7 oz differential. I can live with 3/10 oz differential. Balance remained the same with the heavier frame at 12 pts head light. These are sprayed with different spec label colors as I mentioned above and I wonder if they came out of different assembly lines? I feel a lot better now. I guess head tapes, dampeners, overgrips all add different amount of weight, depending on brand. Hit tonight with nothing but tournagrip on both frames and they felt Identical. These are serving monsters. Best frame since the 200G MW I have played with in 5 years.

BreakPoint
04-12-2006, 06:24 PM
The nCodes with the silver spec label were made in 2004, whereas, the ones with the black spec label were made in 2005. Not sure what color they're using for 2006.

BreakPoint
04-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey Basil,

I know you used to use and love the MW200G, and then the O3 Tour, both of which were pretty flexible. So my question is, don't you find the nSix-One 95 18x20 pretty stiff in comparison?

I demoed the nSix-One 95 16x18 version a couple of times, and although I liked the racquet overall, especially its stability, I felt it was still a bit too stiff for my taste. Now assuming the frames themselves are the same, the 18x20 version must feel even stiffer due to its denser string pattern, right?

Now I've never bothered to demo the 18x20 version because I just thought it would just feel even stiffer than the 16x18 version that I did demo. What do you think?

joe sch
04-12-2006, 07:27 PM
I bet there is some hidden led on one of them ?
Could be inside grip or under bumper gaurd.

Hicham
04-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Hello,

I have an N6.1 95 18x20 and the specs are written out in white on a grey background (or maybe vice versa I can't remember).

I just have a question for you: on the side beam, there should be a sticker that tells you the grip size. Does it also say "SL" ? if so it maybe a superlight version you have.

basil J
04-13-2006, 04:12 AM
B.P., I also used an HPS6.1 between the 200GMW and the 03tour and fell in love with the way that frame felt on the serve. The sweetspot on that frame was too small for my ability and my ground game suffered. The ncode6.1 is a bit stiffer than what I have been using, but moving forward I am going to focus on the best string set up. I like an 18 x20 string bed. I get massive spin with this frame and a nice heavy ball when I hit out. I have not been using it long enough to see if I develop any arm or shoulder problems due to it's stiffness, but I never did with the HPS 6.1 so I am hoping I won't. The response off of the string bed is so predictable with this frame, that I almost never catch myself thinking about mechanics while I am playing. I just used relaxed strokes and the heft of the frame does alot of the work for me. I demoed the 16 x 18 version and felt it was muted and too powerful, so I never gave it a chance. This is a solid "modern" players Frame, that even my teaching pro really likes and he is a devout 200GMW guy.

milo
04-13-2006, 04:51 AM
i think asian version has usl in the sticker.

BLiND
04-13-2006, 05:38 AM
Being a weight and balance different between the same frames from the same maker, be in Head, Prince, Wilson or anyone else if common, and actually fairly normal (they have tolorances). You will almost NEVER get them the same without customising.

Thats why I got my 3 Vantage frames weighted, balanced & matched at no extra cost :-)

BreakPoint
04-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks Basil!

I'll have to give the nSix-One 95 18x20 version a try some time. I know others have also raved about it, too.

jasonbourne
04-13-2006, 12:31 PM
BP, after you give the nSix-One 95 18x20 a try I would be open to hearing your review comments on it compared to your PS95.