PDA

View Full Version : Question about cutting off 1/4 to 1/2 inch of extended length frame

BjornBorg
04-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I've cut off 1/4 inch from my NSRQ 7and it does feel better. My question is, about how much weight is that? How much lead tape to I need to put to replace that lost weight of 1/4 inch and keep the balance. I'm assuming I'd need to put the weight in the handle as cutting off 1/4 inch from the bottom would make it more head heavy.

Any help would be appreciated. I love the NSRQ-7, but don't like the 27.5 length. I've realized that this frame plays better than both the RDS 001 and 003. I thought the 003 would match it, but it doesn't. Must be the material/composition. I want to keep the 6-points head light after removing the 1/4 inch. How much lead tape do I need and where? Thanks.

BjornBorg
04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
still hoping for some guidance here. The NSRQ-7 definitely feels more maneuverable with the 1/4 cut off the bottom. I'm just trying to put the lead in the right spots to maintain the 6-7 points head lightness and the overall 11 oz static weight and the 318ish swing weight.

I'm just not sure what the 1/4 to 3/8 handle cut off did to those aspects--although I can say it doesn't feel too different. I hit my topspin forehand better now and I'm volleying better with the 27.25 length now. I really feel that 1/4 (between a 1/4 and 3/8) shortening.

I'm not sure why Yonex would not have put out the NSRQ-7 with a 27.25 or even standard length. For some reason, the materials/composition of this racket provides very nice feel and very good power.

DragonFly
04-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I would say, grab a scal and balanc board and find out how much lead you want to add.

meh
04-14-2006, 06:16 PM
You should have taken the specs before surgery...

Best way now would be to match it to TW's specs. Or, if you still have the bit you cut off, you can find the mass of that, then add that much lead under the buttcap. You might need to spread a bit of that original cut-off mass on the the throat/head, since adding all of it to the handle would make the racquet slightly more headlight than the pre-surgery NSRQ. Unlikely that you will be able to duplicate the exact SW, but you should come close.

And if you think it feels better as it is now, then why add lead?

kinsella
04-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Don't add lead if you like it the way it is. If you are not 100% satisfied, experiment with lead the way you would on a new stick and forget about a calculation of the "correct" amount.

Honestlybad
05-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Shortening a racquet makes it more head light not head heavy.... You have less mass above your grip. I understand the misconseption though....

Zverev
05-14-2006, 09:25 PM
in theory it might turn up more headlight or more head heavy,
depends on weight distribution of the racquet (how much weight is in the handle)