PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to go to a heavier racket?

TurbeauxTiger
04-12-2006, 06:54 PM
im 14 years old and am relatively strong. right now i play with a head liquidmetal universe (cant find how heavy it is but it is VERY light compared to other rackets). its also very big head-wise 710 cm/ 110 in. so since i cant find the freakin weight i just want to know the advantages of a heavy racket, light racket, oversize head etc. (and it ahs an open string pattern (is that hwere the strings are pretty far apart?)

*note i have a big serve and am primarily a baseliner but come to the net when i get a good serve in. i like to use placement alot more than power.

str33t
04-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I am 14, relatively strong, baseliner such as you. I moved fom an 8.5 ounce racquet to a 11.2 ounce racquet. All I can say is that game play has improved. I also moved from a 110 head to a 100 head. Gameplay improved. Go to a heavier racquet if you can handle it.

Aeropro joe
04-12-2006, 07:01 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/SelectingRacquet/SelectingRacquet.html
this should help

jonolau
04-12-2006, 09:18 PM
It sounds like you have reached the level where you can generate your own power with your swing.

In this case, you might be able to handle a heavier racquet (which generally comes in smaller headsize). A heavier racquet would place control over power, and will aid you at the net with placement. If you have a full and fast swing, you can generate your own power for groundies.

If you find that a lot of your shots are going long, you may also want to consider a more flexible racquet. A stiffer racquet may cause many of your shots to go long.

In general, a racquet with a thinner beam width will also give you more control.

Hope this helps.