PDA

View Full Version : Grip Sizes Bigger Than 4 3/4

merlin_23
04-13-2006, 03:18 PM
do Wilson or any other manufacturers make their rackets with grip sizes bigger than a 4 3/4 if specifically requested by a customer? I'm sure i need a 4 7/8 or maybe even a 5 inch grip. I've tried using heat shrink sleeves but they are no good, they add weight, change the balance of the racket and they start sliding down the butt cap when you play with them for a while. Apart from using heat shrink sleeves i don't think there's any other way of building up a handle, that's why i'd like to know if any of the manufacturers custom make rackets with bigger grip sizes for customers that specifically request them?

meh
04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
There are several racquet customization companies that can remold your handle to your desired size (and shape) if you have a deep enough wallet:
Racquetmaxx
Bosworth
RPNY

Give them a call for pricing. From what I remember, Racquetmaxx was the cheapest (~USD$25?) and RPNY was about ~$40. Might be different...

merlin_23
04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
problem is i live in england i need to find some english companies that will do this but thanks anyway.

Davai
04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
problem is i live in england i need to find some english companies that will do this but thanks anyway.

Yeah, it would be nice if companies made such pallets again. Why did they stop making them in the first place?

Greg Raven
04-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Volkl offers some of its racquets with the L6 grip size, and TW can sell you L6 Volkl replacement pallets. Also, instead of shrink tubing, have you tried duct tape? Cut it to the length you want and apply it from butt cap to shaft. It adds weight, but if you need that big of a grip, you should be strong enough to swing the extra weight when it's at the handle.

AndrewD
04-13-2006, 11:12 PM
If you need to go up one size but still want to retain the distinct shape of the pallet and not increase weight (at least, not by much) the easiest thing to do is to put a thinner replacement grip over the top of a leather grip. The leather makes the bevels more pronounced than a synthetic and the thinner replacement grip wont diminish that by much at all. Takes a bit of experimenting to find the right combination but worthwhile.

I shift between a 1/2 and 5/8 and although it isn't perfect by any means its the best option Ive found so far.

dougal74
07-28-2006, 03:20 AM
Merlin, I know this is an old post and you have probably solved it by now but the guys at Gefen Sports in Kensal Rise, London, are a proper old time racket shop and do good grip work. They are not cheap however!

I mostly use elecrical tape (or golf grip adhesive tape) when building from an L3 to L4.