PDA

View Full Version : Head Light V. Head Heavy Rackets

kenshireen
04-13-2006, 07:11 PM
I have a 8 point HL Racket....What are the pros/cons of headlight vs head heavy racquets.
thanks, Ken

DragonFly
04-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Headlight, nimble racquet, easier to volley, however, usually not very powerful, is heavy overall to compensate.
Head heavy, Great for baseliners, harder to maneuver when volleying, consistent and powerful, due to mass at the head. Is also usually lighter than head light frames, because mass is concentrated in the head.

Galactus
04-14-2006, 02:02 AM
DragonFly has pretty much nailed it.

Head-light racquets are better if you suffer from 'tennis/golfer' elbow problems due to the less combined effect of wrist/elbow crunch/shoulder/pull, etc. Remember though, you can still have a heavier mass and high swingweight but the heavier counterweight from the racquet's handle-end will counter this.

Example: I have been using a Wilson ProStaff Original 6.0 85 for the past 7 months and I added around 25-30g of lead-tape to the racquet-frame at 3 and 9 o'clock, to increase it's overall mass weight to 385g.
However, when I worked out the resutling balance of this, the mid-point was increased from 31.75cm to around 32.75cm from the buttcap - still heavier at the handle-end of the racquet.
However, with my new Babolat Pure Drive+, which when used in it's own default fashion is incredibly light in comparison: 315g.
Even though I've added 20g to this, it still feels way too light for me, and I need to add more to ensure I have a mass-heavy-enough racquet to give me even more power and protect my elbow - ensuring the racquet doesn't change it's balance and become head-heavy.

chiru
04-14-2006, 03:35 AM
galactus is right. in my mind head light is always the way to go for advanced players. usually you can generate enough power from a full stroke that loosing the head heavy wont hurt you a great deal. another difference is that head heavy rackets almost always lack the control of their head light brothers. often times for power people may add mass to their frame, at 12 o'clock or as i and galactus do it at 3 and 9 (which also increases the stability of the frame, and it feels like it increases the sweetspot for me). as u can imagine it becomes more demanding to get teh racket moving, but when contact is made plenty of power is to be had. head light is as such generally associated with "player's rackets", rackets to be used by more skilled players. while this is not always true, expect it to be difficult for a 2.0 to use the wilson prostaff 85, while a head heavy ncode N1 for instance may be plenty easy.

chiru
04-14-2006, 03:37 AM
btw, i also agree wtih galactus on the tennis elbow issue, which is truly critical in my mind. i had severe tennis elbow 2 years ago, enough that warranted 2-3 ibuprofens minimum per match, which was close to causing an ulcer, and never really eased teh pain totally. when i switched to a head light (ncode tour 90) racket, the pain was gone.

Galactus
04-14-2006, 06:09 AM
btw, i also agree wtih galactus on the tennis elbow issue, which is truly critical in my mind. i had severe tennis elbow 2 years ago, enough that warranted 2-3 ibuprofens minimum per match, which was close to causing an ulcer, and never really eased teh pain totally. when i switched to a head light (ncode tour 90) racket, the pain was gone.
I had 'bad' but not 'chronic' ache last summer when I started using the Wilson ProStaff Tour90 without any lead added to it - 355g.
I got ache at around the hour-mark of my matches and it stayed pretty much for the next day or two.
Cue the ProStaff Original 6.0 85 leaded-up to 385g and the ache/pain all but disappeared.

Now, I was worried about using such a overall light-massed frame as the Pure Drive+, but adding 25g to it and playing with it for 21/4 hours the other day, i didn't suffer too much ache. I felt it more the next two mornings when I woke up, but that can also be attained to overall 'stiffness' of joints as I'm getting older!!

10nisNe1?
04-14-2006, 11:33 AM
headlight=racquet head speed=power, and also control (because of added spin generated) unless you hit flat :).

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-14-2006, 02:12 PM
headlights give you more racquet head speed and also offer more control, headheavy are for those who dont generate their own power and also increase the risk of tennis elbow.