PDA

View Full Version : Wilson L4 = Head (?)

VictorS.
04-13-2006, 07:34 PM
I currently play with a Wilson Pro Staff racquet and am in the process of changing to Head racquets possibly. I use an L4 grip size with Wilson however the L4 for the head racquet seems a bit skinny in nature. The second and forth bevel are quite skinny and this makes gripping the racquet a bit awkward. Would you all recommend perhaps just getting an L5 grip with Head or would an overgrip solve this issue by rounding out the grip a bit more.

There's no doubt though that when I do the grip test with an L4 head racquet that it feels small in my hands. However, I'm unsure whether I can handle a larger size grip.

astra
04-14-2006, 01:02 AM
That is true. I made exactly the same switch - from Wilson 41/2 to Head. I found out that Head 41/2 is considerably smaller, but i do not mind Head grip shape as using Eastern/Continental grip. I can imagine that it bothers players with Western/Semi-Western grip.
Now I play with with two 0,7 mm ovegrips, feel good.

La Bomba
04-14-2006, 01:44 AM
I personally don't like the Head grip shape, after playing with my wilsons for 10 months, when i tried out an i.prestige the grip shape was a bit weird.

VictorS.
04-14-2006, 05:38 AM
Have any of you successfully gotten the head grip modified by a professional, getting the grip a bit rounder?

thomas martinez
04-14-2006, 10:35 AM
There's a few things you can do. To modify the shape, get some gaffer's tape, not duct, but proper gaffer's or even hockey tape in a pinch. Lay it along the widest bevel of the handle, one layer at a time. That or go with the Head L5 handle.

VictorS.
04-15-2006, 07:51 PM
I recently spoke to a reputable racquet stringer in my area regarding this issue. He suggested getting a head racquet with a grip size of 4 5/8 if I am replacing a Wilson L4 grip size. Would anybody beg to differ?

Paloheimo
05-31-2006, 01:27 AM
Hey all, I finally decided to join the forum. I've been reading this great forum (thanks TW) for a long time.

I've got a similar problem, since I've been thinking about buying two PC 600s, but I'm still hesitating because of the Head grip shape and size (and lack of playtesting).

My main sticks are two HPS 6.1 18X20, and I've got a couple of PS 6.1 18X20 as backups. The problem is that I'm used to the Wilson grip shape, and the Head grip feels a bit akward. My grip size with the Wilson's is 4 1/2, plus Wilson leather grip and Gamma Supreme overgrip.

Maybe I could get used to the new grip shape, but what about customizing it? I was thinking the same as thomas martinez mentioned:
How about about getting the PC's with the same size (4 1/2) and putting some Gamma protective tape, for example, to the long side of the pallet to make the grip more rectangular? What do you guys think?

I think the shape of the grip is more of an issue for me, so I don't believe getting the 5/8 without customizing will solve the problem for me. And If the 5/8 is already sligtly larger than Wilson 4 1/2, customizing it to be more rectangular would probably make it way too big?

Another member on this forum mentioned in another thread, that he uses the 4 1/2 with Wilson, but his PC 600s are size 5/8. But it seems like he doesn't mind the different grip shape.

Anyhow, do you have any comments on making the switch from HPS 6.1 & PS 6.1 to PC 600? As I mentioned, I already use the 18X20 string pattern and like it very much, so that shouldn't be a problem. What I'm looking for is more feel and touch, since the Pro Staff's are quite stiff.

Paloheimo
06-01-2006, 04:31 AM
Anyone here who has customized their Head grip shape to be more like the ones on Wilson racquets? How did you do it and what are your experiences with the customized handle? How much did the customization affect the weight of the racquet?

Paloheimo
06-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Anyone? All tips and experiences about customizing the Head handle are welcome.