PDA

View Full Version : bosworth' advice, now you help

chiru
04-14-2006, 03:41 AM
i called warren bosworth the other day about my racket. i have an ncdoe tour 90, and i'd like to federerize the handle (i.e. make the pallet shorter). so i talked to warren about it and he gave me some advice, about how careful i need ot be and what not. the problem i come up with is this, which he didnt' fully answer. after having shortened the pallet, iw ill expose an inch or so of extra handle thats no longer covered by teh pallet. i wonder, is this part of the racket painted red as well? if not, how can i get it painted in such a manner that it smoothly blends in with the rest of my racket paint job. if such a procedure is doable, then doesn't it also stand to reason that i could fill in pain chips elsewhere? any help on this is appreciated.

Michelangelo
04-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Oh well. When I built up the grip size of my nSix-One Tour 90, I found something that you might not wanna know. Let me tell ya a (kinda) bad news. The "neck" of the racket under the pallet is narrower than those originally exposed. So, even though you shorten the handle, you still need to have some way to modify the dimension of the racket neck (adhesive with automobile body filler????). Anyway, even though those section is originally painted, the paint is very likely removed with the portion of the pallet that you're gonna remove. For my case, those paint pilled off even I just removed the finishing tape of the grip for my grip-built-up job.

So, good luck.

chiru
04-14-2006, 04:36 PM
so strange, bosworth didn't mention that at all, although im having a lot of trouble imagining how that is the case? perhaps i shoudl just have it sent in? but that costs $50 plus shipping bothways, that bosworth, i guess ill have to call him next week.

PrestigeClassic
04-15-2006, 01:45 AM
so strange, bosworth didn't mention that at all, although im having a lot of trouble imagining how that is the case? perhaps i shoudl just have it sent in? but that costs $50 plus shipping bothways, that bosworth, i guess ill have to call him next week.

Perhaps because Bosworth has never bothered with this. If you really wanted to do this, you could chisel at the polyeurathane and see what it looks like. It could save you a couple of shipping fees after you see how bad it would look.

Vantage231511
04-15-2006, 05:17 AM
If you are thinking of doing something as drastic as shortening the pallet (why, I have no idea), $50 bucks from the worlds' recognized racquet expert to do the job is cheap. And he won't screw it up, and it will look right.

Doing some things to your racquet is not like changing the oil in your car. Some things are best left to the experts.

my $.02

chiru
04-15-2006, 05:36 AM
he sounded like hs done it before, he did say he'd have it done in one day, like comes in the morning, he does it mid day, and sends it out by teh after noon. which is pretty nice of him. he the only reason is because it gets uncomfortable when i volley or hit back hands, the grip gets in my way. it just becomes a nervous distraction when im playing. the sort of mentality where if you miss a shot you blame your racekt or "my old racket wudn't have missed this" or whatever. alpha in texas said he could do it for 20 dollars, which is reasonable enough if he gets it right, but again the problem is shipping costs, which would make it cost an extraordinary amount. oh well, ill experiment on the other ones and see how i fare