PDA

View Full Version : Rds 001 90

Rasta
04-14-2006, 03:59 AM
I tried this racquet for a couple of hours last evening and my take is that it has a small sweetspot and very low power even for a midsize. The racquet has great feel when you hit the sweetspot, maybe the best I've ever tried, but it is so low powered that most of my groundstrokes were landing at the service line. I played with the Yonex Super RD Tour 90 for years and it is more powerful to me than the RDS. I served well and volleyed very well with the RDS so if you are a serve and volley player you should give it a try.

Kevo
04-14-2006, 05:57 AM
What string and tension was used, if you know?

Rasta
04-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Prince Syn Gut Duraflex 17 ga. but not sure of the tension. It felt a little tight, maybe 2 over midrange.

I think this is a nice racquet, I just couldn't get the power I needed. I'm sure with lower tension it would be better.

sunmin77
04-14-2006, 07:18 AM
It seems a little strange to me that you found low power with this frame. I own this racquet and strung it up with Topspin Cyber Flash 17(Luxilon ALU Power clone) in the mains at 69 pounds and Synthetic gut 16 in the crosses also at 69 pounds. I think that the racquet has a very large sweetspot, especially for a mid, with a very forgiving feel. In terms of power, this racquet offers tremendous amounts of power, especially on put-away shots. It serves like a dream and, of course, control is amazing. I think this racquet, compared to the RDX 500 is far and away better.
Just my opinion~!

Rasta
04-14-2006, 07:23 AM
I plan to play more with it this weekend. Maybe I have just been playing too long with a more powerful frame. I will need to swing out more to get the depth of shot.

Kevo
04-14-2006, 10:45 AM
String with a multi or dropping the tension a bit would help in the power department, but if the RDS is anything like the RDX, it will reward a full swing with plenty of pop.

10nisNe1?
04-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Prince Syn Gut Duraflex 17 ga. but not sure of the tension. It felt a little tight, maybe 2 over midrange.

I think this is a nice racquet, I just couldn't get the power I needed. I'm sure with lower tension it would be better.

maybe you're putting too much topspin because of the thin gauge. try a thicker gauge, powerful multi, and low tension.

yonex90
04-14-2006, 01:43 PM
The RDS hit harder than the RDX did for me when I played it (stock). My RDX weighs about 13 oz. and hits very well for me. Try a different string combination, and try hitting with it for a while. There's power that you've hidden in the racquet.

Rasta
04-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will do just that with the string setup when/if I buy one. I really like the overall feel of the racquet and want it to work for me.