PDA

View Full Version : NoBadMojo: Volkl questions

Coria
04-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi, I know you're a huge help on these boards and particulary, with Volkl rackets.

A couple of years ago, I used a Tour 10 MP. I liked it a lot and played well with it but I really wanted a little more head lightness and slightly more pop. I like the thinner beamed rackets most of the time (19-21mm).

I've demoed, the Cat-8--didn't like it. I've demoed, the V-8--was okay but not enough plow through ability.

I've tried the MP Gen II and the V-Engine 10. Both good rackets. However, I'm looking for a swing weight closer to 312-317 and head lightness at round 7-10 pts. I also prefer static weight of no more than 11.5. I actually like 11 oz or even 11.3. 12 oz (like the Gen II or the VE 10) felt a little heavy.

My question is whether you think the DNX 9 would be a good fit. I'm a heavy hitting baseliner who hits some big topspin and flat balls. Can pop the serve and like to mix in some drop shots. Play a power baseline game.

I tried the VE-9 and the Tour 9 but didn't really like them a bunch. The DNX 10 has a little heavier weight than I'd prefer. I'm thinking the DNX 9 or the DNX 10 295. I'm not sure the latter would provide enough pop, given the dense string pattern, the lightness of the racket and the 19 mm beam. But, maybe it would.

Compared the Tour 10 MP, how would the DNX 9 or the DNX 10 295 be an upgrade? Specifically for "pop", for maneuverability, etc. I can't demo either of these rackets as I see them nowhere here in the states. Thanks a bunch.

vkartikv
04-14-2006, 01:59 PM
I am nobody's mojo but I have played with some of those frames you mentioned. The dnx 10 is by far one of the lowest powered frames I have played with. If you are looking for extra pop from the racquet, you won't find it here. The tour 10 v engine mp and gen I were both a little high on the SW but the gen II was actually right around the 315 mark. The tour 9 v-engines were a little too stiff and with an 18x20 pattern, it was a very clumsy racquet.

Have you tried the c10 pros? They are a little heavier than what you are looking for but the pop on serves is great and its pretty much an all court frame. Good luck trying to get your hands on the dnx 9.

Besides the volkls, the tt warrior is a good medium weight, highly maneuverable racquet with good pop and kick. Its also pretty inexpensive.

NoBadMojo
04-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi, I know you're a huge help on these boards and particulary, with Volkl rackets.

I've tried the MP Gen II and the V-Engine 10. Both good rackets. However, I'm looking for a swing weight closer to 312-317 and head lightness at round 7-10 pts. I also prefer static weight of no more than 11.5. I actually like 11 oz or even 11.3. 12 oz (like the Gen II or the VE 10) felt a little heavy.

My question is whether you think the DNX 9 would be a good fit. I'm a heavy hitting baseliner who hits some big topspin and flat balls. Can pop the serve and like to mix in some drop shots. Play a power baseline game.

Compared the Tour 10 MP, how would the DNX 9 or the DNX 10 295 be an upgrade? Specifically for "pop", for maneuverability, etc. I can't demo either of these rackets as I see them nowhere here in the states. Thanks a bunch.

I dont think the combination of static weight and swingweight you seek exists and i am tired of all the attacks because i rely on swingweight (the attackers cant even agree what swingweiht really means...i'm not having any problem with it)

sounds to me that based upon your style of play and the swingweight you can handle, you would play well with the DNX8..it's a wider beamwidth however and stiff, but is perfect for an agressive baseliner. I dont think the DNX10295 can be much of a bat as the heavier version of same is very low powered..a 295gms version would surely not be an impact sort of frame altho i havent hit with it. the dnx9 is sweet, but it's more of an allcourters frame..it's got a thinner beam and plays very soft and is headlight..maybe it might be for you as i think you used the X1? the DNX9 is like a much better X1..it's not as demanding as the X1 and gives you more of everything.
These would be two really good demos for you i think.
Typical general rules apply..more weight in the head =baselining..headlight=all court
Lead screws both of these frames up IMO..if people think they need a heavier frame. they should just buy a heavier frame

Coria
04-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks. For some reason, I felt the DNX lacked a little feel and touch. I did like the Slaz but wanted something a bit better. Would the DVX 9 provide a little more pop than the Slaz? How would it be serving compared to the Slaz? How about for spin?

I do like the 98 square inches to 100 the best. I'd love to get my hands on the DNX 9. How does it compare to the Tour 9 and the Tour 9 VE? Those were good sticks but I felt I could do better.

How would the DNX 9 differ than the Tour 10 MP? And by the way NBMJ, what would you say is the DNX 9 swingweight and headlightness? It doesn't say on Volkl's site. Thanks a bunch.

SC in MA
04-14-2006, 07:33 PM
If you don't mind another voice chiming in, I have some experience with some of the sticks being mentioned. I have a DNX8, DNX9, Cat8VE and the X1. I used to have a T10GenII.
I'm looking for a swing weight closer to 312-317 and head lightness at round 7-10 pts. I also prefer static weight of no more than 11.5. I actually like 11 oz or even 11.3. 12 oz (like the Gen II or the VE 10) felt a little heavy.. This sounds very similar to what I'm looking for. The DNX8 is pretty close to those specs, however, based on what you said about the Cat8VE and the V8 and the lack of plow through, you may find that the DNX8 also has a lack of plow through, at least in its stock form. That's the main area that I find lacking in the DNX8, which is a racket I like a lot. I play mine stock and it weighs in at 10.8oz. The swingweight actually feels a little less than its spec'd 312. So, I think it's possible that weight can be added to provide a more solid, plow through hit, without taking it over your desired static & swing weights.

Concerning the DNX9. My stock DNX9 with the black Volkl string dampener that comes with it, weighs in at 11.8oz. And it's about 6 points HL, though it actually feels head heavy to me. Those specs wouldn't bother me, if the swing weight felt close to the spec'd 310, which it doesn't. For me, my DNX9 swingweight feels more like the mid-320's, or maybe more. It's very possible I have one that is way out of spec, 'cuz it really feels much heavier than the specs would indicate. This was and is extremely disappointing to me. In comparison, my 12oz X1 swings much easier, feels lighter and is much more manueverable.

My question is whether you think the DNX 9 would be a good fit. I'm a heavy hitting baseliner who hits some big topspin and flat balls. Can pop the serve and like to mix in some drop shots. Play a power baseline game.I think the DNX9 would be an excellent stick for the playing style you describe, if you can tolerate the weight. I couldn't use mine for indoor, hardcourt singles or doubles because I couldn't handle the weight in a fast court environment. However, I might be able to use it for clay court singles in a few weeks. In fact, I think it could be a killer clay court singles stick. The DNX9 hits a nice heavy ball with a nice solid feel to it and spin is easy to generate with a little setup time. In general, it has very good pop, including the serve. A nice volley stick as well. In comparison, I found a lot to like about the T10GenII, but it just didn't have the baseline pop nor heavy ball that I wanted for clay court singles.

Two Fister
04-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Please allow me to throw in my 2 cents about the DNX 8, 9, 10.

First of all, let me say that I only hit with the DNX 8 for less than 45 minutes total cuz I didn't care for it and I've only hit with the DNX 9 once against the ball machine where I was A-Bing it with the DNX 10 for an hour. So my experience with the 8 and 9 are very limited so far. I've been using the DNX 10 more and more lately and have pretty much made the 10 my main stick for the last few weeks.

Okay, disclaimer out of the way...

The DNX 9 was strung with something that looked like a syn gut at who knows what tension. (But by pinging sounds it was roughly in the same ballpark as my DNX 10's as far as tension. I'm going to string it up tonight with Laserfibre Supernat. Phemon 18g just like one of my DNX 10's. But I will start in the middle of the tension range (55 lbs. instead of 52 lbs.).

To me it felt like the 9 swung just a bit lighter than the 10, but significantly heavier than the 8. The 9 seemed to have a bit more pop which I noticed particularly when serving about 20 balls on each the 9 and 10.

The way my 9 was strung I could hear a definite ping occasionally where I don't hear that at all on my 10. I don't us a vibration dampener but I'm tempted to with the 9 so I'll bring one tomorrow when I hit with it again. The 9 felt surprisingly stiffer than the 10, but I could still feel the ball nicely on the strings. Maybe I'm being fooled by the ping sound. However, my whimpy elbow has been feeling great with the 10 on serves, but with every serve with the 9 I felt my elbow complain just a bit. I went back and forth between racquets every 4 serves and this experience was definitely repeatable.

I seem to have more control (so far) with the 10 and more pop with the 9. To me it seems like on the 10, it doesn't matter if you hit in the sweetspot or near the sweetspot, the ball seems to have a pretty consistent flight off the strings. I'm not saying that the 10 has a large sweetspot, but it doesn't seem like there is as big a difference between hitting the sweetspot and not hitting the sweetspot. I can tell hitting the sweetspot is better, but I don't seem to be punished when not hitting the sweetspot. On some racquets, when you hit the sweetspot it's like heaven, but when you don't hit the sweetspot you get a much different, deadlike response. On the 9, it seemed like I could tell more of a difference when I didn't hit the sweetspot. It's wasn't bad, but it just seems like the 10 had a more consistent response across the stringbed.

The main reason why I'm curious about the DNX 9 is because I was interested to see if spin generation was easier with it than the DNX 10. And I believe it is easier to generate spin with the 9, although after tweeking my strings and tension in the 10, I'm quite satisfied with the spin potential of the 10.

So in conclusion, after a very limited experience so far, I didn't like the 8. The DNX 9 hits very nicely and I definitely am going to try it more after restringing. The DNX 10 is my favorite racquet right now. I feel like I can swing away and the ball stays in nicely. Also, although my serves probably aren't quite as hard as with my AeroProDrive, with the DNX 10, I can place those puppies just about anywhere I want, at will. Okay, I'm not that good (only a 4.5), but I can place my serves significantly better than with the AeroProDrive or PureStorm for that matter.

Can't wait to tweak the strings and try the DNX 9 again. It's a very promising racquet so far. I think my daughter will like it, especially after I dial in the strings.

Coria
04-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks. I was hoping the DNX 9 felt a little easier to swing than the Tour 10 MP. It sounds like it may by the same swing weight and static weight and not any more maneuverable. But I'll check it out when I get the chance.

Non of the Volkl 8's work for me.

NoBadMojo
04-14-2006, 08:22 PM
these racquets swing as the specs would indicate to me..there's no magic or mystery..this is the most 'on spec' company i have ever known by far...and fischer as well. you cant tell about a frame by pinging it or playing with it for a few minutes.. the dnx8 has weight in the head and swings like the swingweight..a baseliners bat which serves well. the dnx9 is more headlight and swings just like the swingweight..an all courters tool altho even i can prolong ralleys with it...no mystery..really simple..they were each designed for different sorts of games..they are both really nice i think..

vin
04-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Hey Coria, if you're willing to stray from Volkl, give the Yonex RDS 003 a try. It falls right in between the DNX 8 and the DNX 9.

JoostT
04-19-2006, 03:53 AM
I dont think the DNX10295 can be much of a bat as the heavier version of same is very low powered..a 295gms version would surely not be an impact sort of frame altho i havent hit with it.

I am using a dnx10 295, coming from a tour 10 modified(clipped back bumperguard). I do not play it stock, but with a leather grip and an overgrip (no lead). It weighs about 10 grams less than my tour 10 (I guess around 315 grams). I string it pretty low, 23 kg, 24 on the tour 10. Powerwise they are to me pretty similar, the tour 10 is a little bit more spinny. However, it is much easier with the dnx10 295 to accellerate the racket head. The rackets play about the same from the ground, but on serves, overheads and volleys the dnx10 295 is a lot easier to use. (I can actually use the tour 10 for groundstrokes without having to adjust, something I had to do when the stings popped in between two competition matches. I did have a hell of a time with my serve: I could only hit a second serves (spin)).

I haven't hit with the normal dnx10, so I don't know if the dnx10 295 is just a lighter version of the dnx10. It would't seem to be so, as I would think that just adding weight to the dnx10 295 would make the dnx10 more powerfull than the tour10. Maybe the dnx10 295 is a bit stiffer, it sure feels that way compared to the tour10

I am also pretty interested in the DNX9 as it would seem to be stock about the same wheigt and swingweigth as the dnx10 295 with leather, however it isn't out in The Netherlands yet :rolleyes: .

Joost

Richard Pur
04-19-2006, 05:01 AM
the DNX9 is like a much better X1..it's not as demanding as the X1 and gives you more of everything.

NBM,

I really hope you're right about this. To date you have right on (or very close) with your recommendations on a replacement for my FPK's. The Tour 10 V engines you recommended are very close (and based on my demoing, I need something right between the Mid and midplus) and you had also said the X1 was close to the FPK in terms of feel. That was an accurate recommendation too. I just need a slightly better X1, so I'm jacked to see your comment above. And I think in a different thread you said the DNX 9 is a 10 VE Mid on steroids. My local dealer will be getting a demo in soon. I can't wait!

Thanks Again,

Rich

SC in MA
04-19-2006, 05:57 AM
NBM,

I really hope you're right about this. To date you have right on (or very close) with your recommendations on a replacement for my FPK's. The Tour 10 V engines you recommended are very close (and based on my demoing, I need something right between the Mid and midplus) and you had also said the X1 was close to the FPK in terms of feel. That was an accurate recommendation too. I just need a slightly better X1, so I'm jacked to see your comment above. And I think in a different thread you said the DNX 9 is a 10 VE Mid on steroids. My local dealer will be getting a demo in soon. I can't wait!

Thanks Again,

RichRich: I'll be very interested in hearing your feedback on how the DNX9 relates to the X1.

NoBadMojo
04-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Rich..my pleasure..you and I seem to have similar perceptions of stuff..i think the DNX9 will work out great for you. I think it will be a popular frame.

ericsson
04-19-2006, 07:58 AM
I am also pretty interested in the DNX9 as it would seem to be stock about the same wheigt and swingweigth as the dnx10 295 with leather, however it isn't out in The Netherlands yet :rolleyes: .

Joost

trust me joostT, the racket (dnx 9) is out in the Netherlands, im your southern neighbour but we have the same distributor, drop a mail to Volkl Benelux, you will see. ;)

JoostT
07-10-2006, 06:59 AM
I am using a dnx10 295, coming from a tour 10 modified(clipped back bumperguard). I do not play it stock, but with a leather grip and an overgrip (no lead). It weighs about 10 grams less than my tour 10 (I guess around 315 grams). I string it pretty low, 23 kg, 24 on the tour 10. Powerwise they are to me pretty similar, the tour 10 is a little bit more spinny. However, it is much easier with the dnx10 295 to accellerate the racket head. The rackets play about the same from the ground, but on serves, overheads and volleys the dnx10 295 is a lot easier to use. (I can actually use the tour 10 for groundstrokes without having to adjust, something I had to do when the stings popped in between two competition matches. I did have a hell of a time with my serve: I could only hit a second serves (spin)).

I haven't hit with the normal dnx10, so I don't know if the dnx10 295 is just a lighter version of the dnx10. It would't seem to be so, as I would think that just adding weight to the dnx10 295 would make the dnx10 more powerfull than the tour10. Maybe the dnx10 295 is a bit stiffer, it sure feels that way compared to the tour10

Joost

I just used a good scale to wheigh my rackets in order to match them to each other. They wheigh 334 grams. (that's about 6 grams less than a "normal" dnx10. They are heavier than the tour 10's (330 grams) that I used with the clipped bumperguard. I guess swingwheigt is pretty important to me, because the tour 10's are balanced about a centimere more headheavy and that seems to be all the difference between being able to serve with them or not...

But the wheigt makes it easier to understand why I didn't notice much difference in powerlevel between them. I can swing the dnx10 295 faster and they are heavier, so the somewhat stiffer stringbed is compensated for.

Joost

coachrick
07-10-2006, 11:44 AM
NoBad et al, please excuse the thread hijacking but I just gave my DNX 8 to my DW and will pick up a 9 shortly for my personal use. The odd thing is--I have been hitting for a couple of weeks with a Yonex 8500 from 1975, last strung in 1991 and I am loving it! If I had to pick a racket from 20+ years ago to use in a match, it would be between this and a Red Head, if I could find one.

What would you choose from that era if you were in a friendly match but still wanted to play reasonably?