PDA

View Full Version : My Take on the Tour 95

kinsella
03-01-2004, 09:19 PM
To demo the Tour 95 (“T95”), I strung it with Bow 16L mains and Gosen 16 Crosses at 60#. From the TW review, I decided to skip the off-the-shelf weight and bring the racquet up to the 12 oz. class. I weighted it to match my ROKs – 7.5 oz split between 3 and 9 and 6g on the handle, close to the butt. Total wt 344g, 7 pts HL, after the lead and an H2Overgrip and a string dampener (Sampras "O"). After one trial set up this way, I split the head weight between 2/10 and 4/8. This produced a smoother, more predictable frame and cured my impression of too much flex in the upper hoop. Weighted either way, it was a seamless transition from my ROKs as far as weight and balance were concerned.

The T95 reminded me very much of a PS 6.0 (95) with more flex and less charm. I was told my groundies had more zip, but what stood out to me were stiffer volleys that applied pressure just from their pace. Serving was OK, but I thought I would see more spin on kick serves.

Compared to any other PS (except the ZONE and ROK), it played significantly more flexible. It had plenty of power, similar to the PS 6.0(95) or HPS6, but not as much as the HPS 6.1. I never got to the point, it seemed to have comparable control. The Zone’s flex is more whippy than the T95. The ROK measures out to be more flexible, but it felt stiffer than the T95. Compared to the ROK, the T95 had more power, a little more spin potential, less control and no magic. As with most racquets with this much flex, the head torques noticeably, but not as much with the perimeter weighting.

I compared it to a Dunlop 300G and felt that Dunlop had a much better frame in a similar weight and head size. The Dunlop’s string bed was more consistent, allowing for better control after a brief adjustment to the frame. Compared to the T95, the Dunlop’s head felt smaller, even though it is a little bigger (98).

The T95 never clicked for me – it was an effort to customize it into something I would be really interested in. It played much larger than a 95 head to me and I did not care for that. The sweet spot had surprising power when absolutely bulls-eyed. This made it a little hard to predict the depth of shots, because outside of dead center, there was sharp drop, then power falls off smoothly. That first step, however, is a doozy, giving me an impression the stick was quirky.

No doubt there are players who will find charm in the aspects that were irritating to me. The pop on groundies and volleys made me re-evaluate the MP-1 90 in my closet. The Diablo mid is next, along with the butt-ugly, but lovable Estusa PBB.

carlosrothstein
03-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Give it a try to the Pro Kennex Core 1 #6 or the new Head LM Mid with Head Perfect Control on it :)

vin
03-02-2004, 08:07 AM
kinsella,

Are you trying to replace your rok, or just seeing what's out there?

Vin

kinsella
03-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Vin:

Always lookin'. The ROK really grew my stroke. The MP1 barely came in second in this past summer's beauty contest. It feels stiff and offers less feedback, but I am able to produce a nice ball and I sometimes try to keep in mind that is an important function of a racquet. Better pop on volleys, better kick, better "weight" on groundies and not far behind on returns.

I am hoping the Diablo is a 16 main ROK. Or perhaps the PBB?

edge
03-02-2004, 10:15 PM
The Zone 7.1 is a much better racquet than the Tour 95, softer, more feel and more playable.

bcaz
03-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Kinsella,

You should try the PBB, if you haven't already. I love it and I'm not likely to change anytime soon, but that doesn't stop me from owning and occasionally playing with such sticks as the ROK, PS 6.0 95, C-10 Pro, and the Prestige Classic 600.

I'm also curious about the Diablo, the NXT, the VE-10, and the Tour 95, not to mention the LM Prestige, and I hope to hit with all of them within the next 6 months or so.

BC

vin
03-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Yeah, it is fun just knowing what the other racquets are like. I recently tried the NXG and the Tour 10 V-Engine. They were both nice racquets, but it's going to take something major to pull me away from that amazing but hard to describe feel of the rok along with it's control and stability.

kinsella, don't give up on the rok because of the 18x20. With all the racquet's I've hit with, I have finally convinced myself that I have no problem hitting spin with the rok. Besides, it's so hard to hit the ball out with this racquet that you done need much topspin anyway :)

As my groundstrokes improve, I'm starting to really believe that power and spin come from using a heavy racquet more than anything else. The only reason I would leave the rok is because of it's reputation for low power and low spin, but by making the racquet heavier, neither of these are much of a concern for me.