PDA

View Full Version : leather installation?

moosryan
04-14-2006, 02:37 PM
OK, I just got my first leather grip...to install it, do I have to do anything different than I would with a normal synthetic replacement grip?

Thanks,
moos.

thejackal
04-14-2006, 03:46 PM
no, but some people like to staple it to the buttend of the grip.

Cruzer
04-14-2006, 03:52 PM
If the grip has adhesive backing you shouldn't need to staple the end to the butt cap. I have put some two sided tape on the racquet handle in cases when the leather grip does not have adhesive backing. It works quite well. I don't see the need to drive staples into the racquet when you really don't need to. I also give the grip a gentle stretch before installing.

Aeropro joe
04-14-2006, 04:11 PM
i always leave the backing on and strech it as hard as i can several times around the handle to really get it thin so you can feel the bevels. then, i take the adhesive off and apply it, getting the overlaps as thin as possible, 1mm.

moosryan
04-14-2006, 06:00 PM
no, but some people like to staple it to the buttend of the grip.

I think I'm gonna staple it. I've never done a leather grip, so I figure stapling it on the first one is probably a good idea.

moosryan
04-15-2006, 06:09 AM
anyone else?

palikero
04-15-2006, 07:54 AM
only unless it has no adhesive backing would i staple it.
why would u want to put uncessary holes in your butt cap, it doesnt make sense to me...

but anyways, just presretch the leather grip a few minutes and then try to overlap it as least as possible for maximum bevel feel.
some ppl like to put some oil or powder to soften the leather, but i personally use an overgrip so it doesnt matter.

moosryan
04-15-2006, 11:05 AM
just finished....no staples. that was actually pretty darn easy. i probably should have stretched it a little more, but oh well.