PDA

View Full Version : Question about leather...

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-14-2006, 04:52 PM
OK, so i did the poll, and I've decided that leather is the way to go if you're looking to improve your game. But I stand by my opinion and still find leather too firm. My issue is that if I were to go leather + overgrips, I would find it too expensive. But if I went leather + an extremely thin replacement grip (probably a stupid idea lol) I would have durability but a lack of feel, and therefore back to square one. Like I said, cost is an issue, and therefore durability of utmost importance. Am I better off going with a durable yet tacky overgrip (suggestions??) or a thin replacement grip (if such a concept exists)?

La Bomba
04-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Why don't you buy a leather grip because you will get use to it. Buy Yonex Super Grap in a colour so it wont get dirty as much. And when 1 side wears out just switch it over to the other side. SO you have 2 overgrips in 1.

KennyNguyen
04-14-2006, 06:50 PM
And if you happen to have a one handed backhand and don't mind wrapping the grip left handed, you can have four overgrips in one!

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-16-2006, 04:59 PM
anybody else? cmon ppl i need a bit of help here lol

ShcMad
04-16-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm currently using a Babolat leather grip plus a Babolat VS Original overgrip (which claims to be the thinnest in the world with a thickness of 0.4mm). This setup makes the grip so firm that my callouses actually hurt like heck. But, I guess I have to get used to it since I've switched to leather only a couple days ago. The change in grip size was not noticeable at all, so that was a big plus for me. It stayed true to the original grip size.
Using a synthetic grip without overgrip would have been an option for me, but I thought that no synthetic grip out there absorbs sweat as much as an overgrip. Plus, changing replacement grips is more hassle than changing overgrips IMO. Whenever I use synthetic grips without overgrips, the racquet twists on my hand very easily, and my hands don't sweat THAT much either.
All in all, it's up to you. I'm just sharing my experience.

chiru
04-17-2006, 03:28 AM
i love leather, i made the switch about a year and a half ago now, adn i couldn't be ahppier. for me it just clicked, i never had any trouble with leather itself, its less forgiving if you haven't played in a while as far as blisters go, but thats more your fault than the leather's fault. if you practice regularly you bsould have no problems, and it just gives a much more firm, beveled feel, and thats what i personally like.

Cruzer
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
My issue is that if I were to go leather + overgrips, I would find it too expensive. But if I went leather + an extremely thin replacement grip (probably a stupid idea lol) I would have durability but a lack of feel, and therefore back to square one. Like I said, cost is an issue, and therefore durability of utmost importance. Am I better off going with a durable yet tacky overgrip (suggestions??) or a thin replacement grip (if such a concept exists)?

Keep in mind that a leather grip will last practically forever is properly cared for. I have used a variety of overgrips with my leather grips and think a durable overgrip is an oxymoron. I have found Yonex overgrips to last the longest which is about 2 weeks before they are worn through. Babolat Syntec overgrips wear out in 4-5 hours for me. Wilson overgrips become slick before they wear through. Prince and Volkl overgrips are OK, nothing special.
I don't understand the idea of turning it over when one side wears out since wearing out for me means it has hole in it and has lost most of its tackiness so it is done.