PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Bad Sign...

TENNIS_IS_FUN
04-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I just strung my yonex rdx 500 mid yesterday, the mains being Luxilon Monotec Zolo 18G String, and the crosses being gosen poly ice 17g, both being at 58 lbs. I was able to hit against my garage door (yes, i was that desperate to see how the strings would play) for about 2 minutes before i had to go inside. Around 5 minutes after, My bicept for some reason is hurting like mad. Not my elbow in articular, but my Bicept muscle...Im utterly afriad to try this raquet in an actual hitting session...im most likely gonna have to string it again -_- Thus i have two questions reguarding my racket.
1.) Is it possible to restring a raquet, but only restring the mains/crosses? I want to keep the luxilon, and take out the gosen poly ice for maybe a synthetic. Is this possible?
2.) What is a hybrid combination that is big on playability, that is cheap? I dont break strings that often, and end up cutting them when they feel dead. Also, i read somewhere that the tension should be dropped 10% before stringing with Luxilon...does this really make a difference? I strung my yonex rdx mid at 58 pounds...some people say that is way too high, and to string BELOW 55...do you guys reccomend this? My 2nd question ended up being 4 separate ones.

LowProfile
04-14-2006, 08:51 PM
58 seems a tad high for lux, but nothing too bad. Both those strings have thin gauges so I really don't know what the problem is. I have never experienced bicep pain before and 5 minutes shouldn't be enough to cause it.

Perhaps other things were a factor?

louis netman
04-14-2006, 08:55 PM
All poly on a small headed frame like the Yonnie mid just sounds like problems to me. If you're not a string-breaker, why are you using it?

TENNIS_IS_FUN
04-14-2006, 09:00 PM
i like the feel of luxilon strings, but i chose the gosen strings because...

Davai
04-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Why did you string an all poly string job?
Two minutes isn't enough to make your bicept feel that bad, just like LowProfile said. I wouldn't restring the racket for two reasons. One, the luxilon will most likely break during stringing if you won't cut it out but just replace the crosses. Second it's 18 gauge LUXILON comeon how long can it last, max at the best case scenario 5 hours, min 30 min. Besides do you know how nice 18g plays. As for polylon it loses tension quite rapidly so it's going to feel more forgiving. Moreover the RDX has a pretty open string pattern so more comfort.
On the other hand if the pain was really intense I would consider letting the arm rest for at least a week better yet two weeks. You shouldn't blame the racket or the strings because they had nothing to do with it.

snoflewis
04-14-2006, 10:00 PM
1. it is in fact possible to cut out the crosses and restring them and nothing will happen to your mains if you do it properly. HOWEVER, it is not a recommended procedure. Reason being, especially since your mains are polyester based, you have no idea what tension the string is really at because it has already lost tension, and restringing just the crosses could cause an imbalance of tension (ie. your mains could be at 52 lbs but your crosses could be strung at 58 ). If this is the case, it could damage your frame. so from my point of view...it's $10 for a new hybrid setup not including labor (1/2 set of luxilon, 1/2 set of basic synthetic) OR $180 for new RDX500 midsize...you choose. Another option could be to try to loosen up the tension so it plays softer. you can use a hair-dryer and try to heat the strings up and loosen them up a bit. but when you do this, don't stay on one spot for long periods of time or the string can melt. also, if it is really causing you pain, it is better to cut out the strings and get them restrung (whether it's 18g or 15L gauge string). Tennis elbow isnt something that goes away in a couple of days, and if serious, it can affect you for long periods of time, so i would recommend that you spend that extra money and just restring the racket.

2. why are you even using polyester strings anyway? i understand that you're not a string breaker...so why don't you stick to a softer setup? if you want something cheap and soft (if your arm pain persists) try babolat superfine play or prince synthetic original. PSGD would be a little stiffer and crisp if you prefer that type of feel. To answer your other questions, stringer 10% lower would probably be wise since you now have arm pain. also, polyester strings aren't very powerful either, so stringing at lower tensions may help w/ that loss.

hope it helped...if you need it, i can try to find the threads on the blowdryer and the restringing of crosses threads that have already been discussed and backed by more knowledgeable members than I. also...sorry for the long post :eek:

TENNIS_IS_FUN
04-14-2006, 10:14 PM
hope it helped...if you need it, i can try to find the threads on the blowdryer and the restringing of crosses threads that have already been discussed and backed by more knowledgeable members than I. also...sorry for the long post :eek:

Dude i loved your post haha....i will probably end up cutting the strings and getting a new hybrid...i searched TW and the Klip Adreneline looks nice...any feedback on this string?

Davai
04-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Dude i loved your post haha....i will probably end up cutting the strings and getting a new hybrid...i searched TW and the Klip Adreneline looks nice...any feedback on this string?

Explain to me this: how are the strings responsible for the arm pain?
If you honestly believe that the strings are the problem just give me whatever "bad" luxilon you have and problem solved.

snoflewis
04-14-2006, 10:33 PM

just wondering...why are you into polyester strings? you said you weren't a string breaker yourself...and if you still have arm problems, it'd be best to avoid any stiff strings at all just as a precaution.

btw..nice safin avatar

snoflewis
04-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Explain to me this: how are the strings responsible for the arm pain?
If you honestly believe that the strings are the problem just give me whatever "bad" luxilon you have and problem solved.

the strings arent 100% responsible...but it is a factor in arm pain...the frame and technique play major roles as well..but i dont think the frame would be a factor since he's using rdx500. It might be his technique, but also, the frame could be too heavy for him and once he started hitting w/ the stiffer strings, his arm might not have been able to handle it...that's all hypothetical of course. and btw, even if he does send you the strings...they'll be useless because he's only using a half set AND he's gonna be cutting them out

TENNIS_IS_FUN
04-14-2006, 10:42 PM
dude i love russel peters...you want to eat?
anyways, i guess i screwed up the first time...i gave my raquet to a friend who strung my raquet with the luxilon/gosen setup...only 10 dollars so why not?? I use to take my raquets to pro shops, but they charge so much for labor that i've decided that it was not worth it....but all my friends who string raquets do not take it seriously...before this, i had the titan natural gut, and gave it to a friend to string. I asked for the tension of 58, and the very next day he tells me "i tried to string it at 58, but it kept on snapping, so i strung it at 50" So pretty much, im stuck....either drive all the way to the pro shop, waste gas money, to get professional service, or simply hand my raquet to a friend the next time i go hit with them...
^Explanation on why i chose poly the first time...

snoflewis
04-14-2006, 10:57 PM
dude i love russel peters...you want to eat?
anyways, i guess i screwed up the first time...i gave my raquet to a friend who strung my raquet with the luxilon/gosen setup...only 10 dollars so why not?? I use to take my raquets to pro shops, but they charge so much for labor that i've decided that it was not worth it....but all my friends who string raquets do not take it seriously...before this, i had the titan natural gut, and gave it to a friend to string. I asked for the tension of 58, and the very next day he tells me "i tried to string it at 58, but it kept on snapping, so i strung it at 50" So pretty much, im stuck....either drive all the way to the pro shop, waste gas money, to get professional service, or simply hand my raquet to a friend the next time i go hit with them...
^Explanation on why i chose poly the first time...

haha.."FITTY CENT A LOT OF MONEY!!!"

anyway...it's not your fault your friend cant string correctly. but at the same time...it is, because would you really trust a friend you cant string correctly with YOUR $180 frame??? also, going from a full gut job to a full poly job is a HUGE change. even when i went from a full multi job to a poly/syn job was pretty drastic ...you've pretty much gone from the softest to almost the stiffest.

snoflewis
04-14-2006, 10:59 PM
the ultimate solution to your stringing disasters would be to invest in a cheap dropweight stringer and string the rackets yourself. if your friends dont take it seriously, and the pro shop costs too much..what other choices do you have? it eventually pays off because you can experiment more and do w/e you want w/ your setup w/o having to worry about your frame in other people's hands. btw...where do you live?

wyutani
04-14-2006, 11:20 PM
haha.."FITTY CENT A LOT OF MONEY!!!"

anyway...it's not your fault your friend cant string correctly. but at the same time...it is, because would you really trust a friend you cant string correctly with YOUR $180 frame??? also, going from a full gut job to a full poly job is a HUGE change. even when i went from a full multi job to a poly/syn job was pretty drastic ...you've pretty much gone from the softest to almost the stiffest.

"SOMEBODY IS GONNA GET HURT REAL BAD...":mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

snoflewis
04-14-2006, 11:28 PM
"SOMEBODY IS GONNA GET HURT REAL BAD...":mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

haha..."**** you mom!!!"

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-15-2006, 04:41 AM
Around 5 minutes after, My bicept for some reason is hurting like mad. Not my elbow in articular, but my Bicept muscle...

i sometimes have the same problem...ill feel it hurting, and shortly after, my serves and forehands are at least 20-30% weaker. is there any explanation for this?

Amone
04-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Well, usually it hurts because it's enflamed, ibuprofin will often get rid of it. Why it's enflamed I'm not sure. It's not one of my specialty subjects.

rooski
04-15-2006, 06:55 AM
I highly doubt your bicept pain has anything to do with the string set-up...especially after 2 minutes. There is something else going on that swinging a racket (any racket could have done it) could have irritated. String shock from stiff frames and stiff strings usually hit's the joints...not a large muscle like the bicepts. You have somehow strained your bicepts or bicepts tendon (could be bicepts tendonitis) so take some ibuprofen and lay off till it feels better. Once it feels better you might want to start doing some strengthening excercises too. My .02

TENNIS_IS_FUN
04-15-2006, 09:47 AM
that seems like a logical answer to my bicept pain...
i'll most likely have to string it again....imma try the gamma tnt 2 16g....thanks for all your help....Somebody gonna geta hurt...REEL bad...