PDA

View Full Version : Customizing the Flexpoint Radical MP....

VictorS.
04-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any experience customizing the FXP Radical MP. It obviously is a great racket with some nice characteristics. I am really interested in purchasing the racket, however I would like it to be a bit heavier, and a bit more headlight. Could this easily be done with a little bit of lead tape? Obviously the Prestige already has these characteristics but the new radical seems to have a bit more "feel" and "touch."

travlerajm
04-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Do you have a 2hb or 1hb?

It makes a difference for the best way to lead up the racquet.

Here is my recommendation, but weighting is a personalized thing, so this is only a guideline - you may like something different. The general rule of thumb is that you need to have the weight wherever you grip the racquet.

If you have a 2hb, I recommend using lead along the entire length of the handle. Keep adding it in 1/2 oz increments until desired feel is reached.

If you have a 1hb, it works best to lead up only the bottom 4 inches of the handle length. Then, as an option, you can try adding a little weight at 3 and 9 (1g at 3-&-9 per every 1/2 ounce of handle weight).

VictorS.
04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I have a two-handed backhand.

For the last few years I have been playing with a Wilson ProStaff 6.6 Tour Classic Midplus racquet. It's a bit heavier than the radical flexpoint. In addition, it's very headlight. However, there are some similar characteristics such as the tight string pattern...midplus headsize....similar flex i think etc etc.

Is it possible to make this radical flexpoint racquet more headlight (perhaps 6-8pts) and perhaps add another ounce to the frame weight?

rooski
04-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Why not just get the Tour version of the FP Rad?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-HRTR.html

VictorS.
04-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm thinking the weight is something that can be tinkered with. However, the open string pattern is something that obviously can't. Obviously there's never going to an exact replacement to my current racquet which I realize. But I wonder if the radical (from the head models) is perhaps my best bet.

rooski
04-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm thinking the weight is something that can be tinkered with. However, the open string pattern is something that obviously can't. Obviously there's never going to an exact replacement to my current racquet which I realize. But I wonder if the radical (from the head models) is perhaps my best bet.
What string pattern is on your 6.6 MP? I only remember the 85" version (see this one on the *bay, item # 7235191609).

My .02...When you are looking to make massive weight changes (1 full oz is huge in a racket), I'd personally much rather find a stick that is close to the weight and balance I like and then do tweaks with lead tape (10 gms maybe).

Head_Rocketman
04-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Ask johncauthen or look at his post. Lots of info on weight distribution.

VictorS.
04-17-2006, 09:05 PM
What string pattern is on your 6.6 MP? I only remember the 85" version (see this one on the *bay, item # 7235191609).

My .02...When you are looking to make massive weight changes (1 full oz is huge in a racket), I'd personally much rather find a stick that is close to the weight and balance I like and then do tweaks with lead tape (10 gms maybe).

So when adding lead tape, anything more than say a 0.5oz is overdoing it? I was not aware of that. I thought the whole point of lead tape customization was the fact that you could alter the weight of a racket significantly.

Tezuka Kunimitsu
04-21-2006, 08:51 PM
What is your tension on the flxp radical Mp?

~Joe