PDA

View Full Version : Added weights for training?

mrk
04-15-2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpagePDISC-POWERDISC.html
Would this actually help me maneuver my racquet more effectively or would it just completely throw off my strokes if I were to train with this?
I use a PD with no lead tape on it, but I plan on putting some on the 3 and 9 o'clock positions because I tend to hit off center a lot.

P.S. - How much lead tape do people usually add to their racquets to have a noticeable difference in the way the racquet hits?

Thanks.

snoflewis
04-15-2006, 10:45 PM
for the lead tape question...even teh smallest amount of lead can make a huge difference on your racket. if you plan on adding it to 3 and 9...apply 2 pieces of 4" or 5" on each side. make sure you modify little by little, or you may just end up wasting all the lead tape.

BattleAxe
04-15-2006, 11:05 PM
I have a PD+ and added 3 inches at 2 and 10. Compared to adding at 3 and 9, this helped move the sweet spot ever so slighty toward the top of the racket, which benefits me because I have a tendency to hit high on the racket during serves. To complement the lead on the head, I also packed cotton and lead fishing weights into the butt. This combination really did wonders for the PD+. I hated it in stock form. It was so ... unstable. Now its solid.

vinky
04-15-2006, 11:09 PM
I think it could benefit you to practice with racquets of varying weights. It's not a bad idea to even practice swinging with a lighter racquet to "train" your muscle fibers to move faster. It's the same reason why some sprinters doing resistent runs (w/ parachutes, weights, or uphill stuff) AND downhill sprints.