PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need a new racquet.

longhorn725
04-16-2006, 06:37 AM
I have not played in about 3 years and i started up again this past month. I have a wilson its red and black not sure the model or anything im not familiar with all that. I want a nice racquet with plenty of power and control price is not a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Final_Match_Point
04-16-2006, 07:18 AM
MIght wanna post other things too. Like how good you were before you played... your playing style

longhorn725
04-16-2006, 11:41 AM
I play for my varsity high school team. I'm a strong hitter i love to slam and hit the ball hard but also i have great control and placement. Every now and then i can get good spin on the ball.

roddick_rulz
04-16-2006, 11:56 AM
that doesn't tell much but you should try demoing the wilson n5.

d_frank
04-16-2006, 12:03 PM
ive got an n5. its got plenty of power, thats for sure. as long as your placement is dec. you should be ok.

armand
04-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Yep, agreed, the n5 is an excellent choice. Here's the link http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WN5.html
Enjoy!
Happy Easter everyone

dewey2110
04-16-2006, 12:31 PM
You should demo few racquets first...I would recommend the aeropro drive I'm using though...decent power, great control and plenty of spin...

Eviscerator
04-16-2006, 12:34 PM
You are asking a very subjective question that is hard for strangers to answer. Your age, current level of play, style (i.e. baseliner, all court player, serve & volley, singles/doubles etc), size, and injuries all play a part in what type of a racquet will best suit you.

My 1st instinct is to say demo a few Wilson's since they will be closer to what you have used in the past. Find a tennis shop that will allow you to take the demos for several days, and hit with each one for at least 20 minutes. Some players mis-hit their 1st shot and say the racquet is not for them, while others fall in love after the first winner they hit with a demo. Hit every shot (even ones you normally don't like to use in a match) with someone who will feed you solid balls rather than playing a competitive match with a new racquet. After you narrow down your choices to your top three(or less), then play test them in a match situation for a final evaluation. This may all sound very basic, but you would be surprised at the number of people who buy a racquet before fully vetting it.

Good luck in your search.

Marius_Hancu
04-16-2006, 12:34 PM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937
-----
and get in shape, or else:-)

check my signature here:

Great fitness sites
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800

longhorn725
04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the help but...sorry i'm pretty new. what is all this weight and what not on the racquet and lbs and stuff? i usually play singles sometime doubles but like i said im a very strong hitter and i'm still working on my strength on my serve however. im positive my racqet is out dated and the n5 Wilson looks nice but what type of strings and what not would i need? also are there any other options besides a Wilson that would suit me?

longhorn725
04-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Anyone? ?

Marius_Hancu
04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the help but...sorry i'm pretty new. what is all this weight and what not on the racquet and lbs and stuff? i usually play singles sometime doubles but like i said im a very strong hitter and i'm still working on my strength on my serve however. im positive my racqet is out dated and the n5 Wilson looks nice but what type of strings and what not would i need? also are there any other options besides a Wilson that would suit me?

read everything here:

Learning Center.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/lcfrontpage.html
recommend multifilament strings in order to better protect your arm

also read the Sticky threads in the Tips and Health forums

texcoug
04-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Longhorn:

Nice to see another horn here. One thing to do is google NTRP tennis ratings. Read them over and give yourself a rating. That will help people here. As for other issues, consider:

1. How often are you playing/going to play?
2. What % is doubles v. singles?
3. Do you serve and volley or prefer to stay at the baseline?
4. What size head are you accustomed to playing with?
5. How thick is the beam on the frame you have (combined with headsize, it can tell you a lot about the power rating of the frame)?
6. Do you use a 1hbh or a 2hbh? If 2h, you may prefer a 27.25 or longer frame (I think the 27.5 are clumsy and compromise my fh though). The extra length gives you more grip (like the RDS 003).

The advice you can get on this site is remarkable but it will be even better the more refined your question is (i.e., you can get better advice if people know what you need). There is an amazing amount of experience here.

Here is some of my advice:

1. If you are predominantly a singles player, you need to consider whether you want to stay back vs. s/v. For my part, I prefer a flexier racquet from the baseline (and heavier and higher swingweight). It sounds like you hit a flat ball, so you may want to consider a racquet that fits your swing (rather than try an Aeropro Drive which is set up more for spinners). Consider ones with denser string patterns (18x20), like the Babolat Pure Control series (Pure Control Zylon 360 is a great frame and is cheap now) or Pure Storm. Also, the gold standard here is the Pro Staff series from Wilson (95") or the nCode 6.1. I have a Yonex RDS 003 and think it fits here too.

2. If you intend to play a lot of doubles (you may if you join a league), I prefer a lighter, stiffer frame. The reason is that in doubles, it's all about the net game. And, when in the middle of rapid exchanges, you do not want a sluggish racquet (nor do you care about touch volleys either) -- you want to punch the ball and put it away. I have an 03 Red which works great. People are raving about the new Wilson nPro Open.

Good luck.

jayh3
04-18-2006, 07:14 PM
If you are a heavy hitter, the n5 would be too light. Tennis elbow or rotator cuff problems might occur. Look for a racquet around 12 oz. and you won't go wrong.

rj_md
04-18-2006, 07:17 PM
try demoing APD..;)