PDA

View Full Version : how can I control my sleeping patterns?

Pyro
06-26-2004, 01:12 AM
The thing about me is that I have two settings, ambitious and lazy slob. When I am ambitious I usually have a full day and I usually sleep for two hours form like 6-8pm because I am dead tired and then I will sleep from 2-7. When I am a lazy slob I sleep at about 1 but can't get to sleep until like 3 and I wake up at 12 and the cycle starts all over. As you can see from the time if you check my post, I am on lazy slob mode and I don't feel sleepy at all. My question is, for anyone who knows anything about sleep patterns, because I don't, how can I solve my problem. In my ambitious setting, I really hate taking naps in the middlee of the day and I would rather just have one chunk of sleep from 12-7 and for lazy slob mode setting, after midnight, there's nothing really fun or significant to do. Any help will be appreciated because it's 2am over here and I can't sleep.

corncob3466
06-26-2004, 11:45 AM
dude, i dont know what to tell you. you must have a weird metabolism

Kevin Patrick
06-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Talk to your doctor about sleeping pills(Ambien is usually their first choice). They will keep you out for 7-8 hours. After using them for a few days, your body should get you back to normal sleeping patterns.

K!ck5w3rvE
07-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Don't go to bed and close your eyes if u dont wnat to go to sleep. I find that this is a great help.

@wright
07-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Easy, wake up early every day. This will force you to be tired earlier at night and go to bed at a normal time. You don't need sleeping pills, they are not good for you and often lead to the prescription of more medications.

Coda
07-03-2004, 10:27 AM
I found out tha if I want to go to sleep and can't I do jumping jacks, situps or pushups. Something that will get your body going for about 10 minutes. Then just head off to bed.

BSousa
07-06-2004, 08:35 AM
I found out tha if I want to go to sleep and can't I do jumping jacks, situps or pushups. Something that will get your body going for about 10 minutes. Then just head off to bed.

Actually, this in most people makes them lose sleep. Exercise produces (I think) adrenaline, which makes it harder for you to sleep.

I have the same problem as you do, the best thing I can do is to wake up at the same time everyday (around 8am for me) and force myself not to get into a bet before 11pm, even if I'm dead tired. When I feel like I'm falling asleep on my desk or something and it is still 8pm, I walk. It's damn impossible to fall asleep while walking :) This way I'm able to only get to bed at 11pm and sleep until 7-8 am which is ok :)

Coda
07-06-2004, 10:01 PM
adrenaline I believed is produced during nervousness, excitement, fear

well getting my heart rate up for a few minutes has always worked

BSousa
07-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Maybe it isn't adrenaline, as I said, I wasn't sure, but I do know it pumps your body up and makes it harder to fall asleep. I actually tend to run a lot at night when I need to pull all nighters and it helps.

http://www.helpguide.org/aging/sleep_tips.htm has some good tips for better sleep. There are a few other information sties about it but they tend to overlap most of the information.

Rickson
07-07-2004, 04:16 AM
Take in less caffeine and take a warm bath at night. Make sure the temperature of your room is cool because hot nights add up to poor sleep.

PHSTennis
07-07-2004, 08:04 AM
LOL Same here I slept around 2AM... I didnt bother doing anything except roll around for 2 hours LOL fell alseep woke up 4 hours later to work out and im going to the Vans Warped Tour at Seaside Park Ventura California today!! Til 8 or 9... hopefully I dont die!

Coda
07-07-2004, 10:56 AM
That Warped Tour should be a blast.

Brian Purdie
07-09-2004, 12:59 PM
What I tell my people:
1-Avoid all caffiene 6 hours before bedtime.
2-Don't use the bed, except for 2 things: sleep and "maritals". Don't study, watch tv, etc in bed. That way your body unconciously gives the bed a personality as a place to rest, not activity.
3-No excercise within 2 hours of bedtime
4-Go to sleep at the same time every day
5-sleep needs vary by age. In the 20's 7-8 hrs is enough. In the 60's 5 hours is enough.
6-As you get older sleep becomes more erratic. No exception. You wake up a greater number of times during the night.
7-Personally, I wouldn't take over the counter sleeping meds unless you were already sick and you wanted to help yourself doze through a little of it.

Ambien (Sonata) is a newer drug that helps put you to sleep. It's action is in the first few hours after ingestion. It works great because it has a short action, achieving its goal of knocking you out. It's effect is worn thin 6 hours later after you wake up so there is less residual effects of tiredness when you awake in the morning. The reason I think Over the counter meds are so bad is because they have a long duration of action. That means they will put you to sleep, but that they are also continuing to work in the morning when you need to wake up.

As always, please consult your local physician before starting any medication and do not mind my advice alone- Brian Purdie, MD

chunlimeyers
07-11-2004, 05:56 PM
It is simpler than all this.. Sleep is timed on what time U eat in the morning(or afternoon).. Eat as soon as U wake up, and your body will wake up at that time. If U eat late at night, it can mess up your sleep. Make sure your room is dark, or the sun will wake U up and disturb your sleep. Also, stress or lack of calories will keep you up. I suggest eating a great portion of what U eat early in the day.

aceindahole2K5
07-11-2004, 09:20 PM
HELL YEA TO WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!! how was that bro? Did you check out Coheed and Cambria, did they have the new Taking Back Sunday alblum, was Atmosphere at your show, and were you sufficiently freaking rocked?!?!

PrestigeClassic
07-14-2004, 06:52 PM
These are all good suggestions; I have also heard that it is a good idea to not eat or drink anything, including water, maybe three hours before bedtime. Spend one day eating the same amount of the same things you normally would, but shift a great deal of it toward breakfast and lunch. Eat a light dinner. See if that makes a difference. I try to get up by 8 AM every day, no matter when I went to sleep. I know that is easier said then done, but try it once and see what happens.

gmlasam
07-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Not to sound indecent or offensive for that matter, but most of you gave some really great advice except one proven method to a restful sleep. Your significant other would be needed for this one. Good old fashion love making with the significant other can help with sleeping problems, not to mention keeping the Mrs. happy. :lol: