PDA

View Full Version : Cutters

David Pavlich
06-26-2004, 08:21 AM
I've just purchased a great little cutter from Radio Shack. It's from a company named Kronus. It has a silly sort of name...Nippy Cutter. The part # is 64-2959. It's 5 bucks. It's a 5" version.

I bought one about 2 weeks ago and like it so much I just purchased another one this morning. I thought that if I didn't, Radio Shack would quit handling it and I'd miss out. The guy behind the counter said that this is a new tool line, so it would be around for a while.

These things are very light weight and cut through string like the proverbial hot knife through butter. If you're looking for a new cutter for your stringing tool collection, this is a dandy.

David

PHSTennis
06-26-2004, 11:37 AM
cool, I'll see to get one soon... ;) thanks.

Gaines Hillix
06-26-2004, 11:56 AM
David, how do these compare to the Xuron cutters?

ibemadskillzz
06-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Gaines, check out this link. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-2959

bigserving
06-26-2004, 05:36 PM
I use some tree pruning shears that I got from the 98 cent store. They easily cut through two or three strings at one time!

Try to guess how much they cost.

Eug
06-26-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm old school baby...I use nail clippers. And I sure do clip fast!

David Pavlich
06-26-2004, 06:49 PM
David, how do these compare to the Xuron cutters?

Hey, ole' timer! I have to pass on this as I've never used the Xuron.

I should have probably made my post a bit clearer. I use the Radio Shack cutters for stuff like cutting the string after tying off, clipping the little tie wrap that holds the string sets together and that sort of thing. For cutting out strings or for cutting Kevlar, I use a pair of 6" wire cutters, which do quite a good job.

I have to reiterate, these little 5 dollar cutters are really good. When I string, I keep my cutter in my right pocket with one of the handles sticking out. It saves me from having it mixed in with my other tools in the tool tray, kinda' like an old Colt .45 in a holster, as it were (I'm sure you have a specific place for all of the tools you use most). I can grab the cutter without looking. The fact that these things are so light makes them really nice since it resides in my pocket.

David

PHSTennis
06-26-2004, 11:54 PM
I've tried a nail clipper... lol works great... I use this whatever cutter that came with my Alpha BLU-DC PLUS...

Deuce
06-27-2004, 10:33 PM
"These things are very light weight and cut through string like the proverbial hot knife through butter."

Yeah - but how are they with Kevlar?

I use nail clippers myself. Cheap, effective, and easy to use. Always have one on me for when I break strings - that way, I can cut the whole string bed right away.

Gaines Hillix
06-28-2004, 10:37 AM
David, sounds good. These look very similar to the standard Xuron cutters. The ones I bought have a little extra edge sticking out just below the cutting edge that grabs the cut off piece after it's cut. So, I don't have little pieces of string flying around when I trim the tie-offs. But, these look like great cutters for the price. I like the way this style of cutter works much better than normal diagonal cutters that come in stringer's tool kits or with some machines. They are lighter and sharper.

David Pavlich
06-28-2004, 03:44 PM
"These things are very light weight and cut through string like the proverbial hot knife through butter."

Yeah - but how are they with Kevlar?

I use nail clippers myself. Cheap, effective, and easy to use. Always have one on me for when I break strings - that way, I can cut the whole string bed right away.

I have a pair of 6" wire cutters I use for cutting out all of my strings AND cutting Kevlar. I haven't tried them on Kevlar yet, but as sharp as they are, I would think it would cut fairly easily.

It's a good idea to keep clippers of some sort in your bag. I try to get customers to cut their stings to ensure the frames don't go hoohaa, I even show 'em how to cut the strings, but of all of my customers, I have maybe 4 or 5 that actually do it.

David

Eug
06-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion David, I just went out and bought me the cutters. I like the fact that they can cut stuff flush with the surface.

coachrick
06-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Been using the Nippy Cutters since late 80s when they were $3.99 regular price and $2.99 on sale from time to time. They came in very handy when cutting grommets for removal(YY frames in particular) or trimming fresh grommets. VERY clean cut--watch out for your fingertips! After using dozens of stringbed cutters over the years, I long ago settled for the utility scissors you see cutting tin cans and other odd materials. The cheapest ones don't align very well and are a bit sloppy on Kevlar but even the $3 models work pretty well. Not a bad price if your tools tend to disappear. I would certainly use nail clippers in a pinch to trim string and grommets.