PDA

View Full Version : Which replacement grip has the best cushioning and holds its shape the longest?

AndrewD
04-19-2006, 05:06 AM
Just what the title says: which replacement grip (NOT overgrip) is the most cushioned and holds its shape (doesn't flatten out too quickly) the longest?

I've been using a Wilson Micro-Dry Feel and find it pretty useless after a couple of weeks. Just seems to flatten out too quickly and doesn't offer any real cushioning.

brucie
04-19-2006, 05:18 AM
RAB grips are good thick cushy grips try the "Air Sprung" RAB grip!

AndrewD
04-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Bruce,

Sorry, I've never heard of RAB. If that isn't a commonly available brand then it's highly unlikely I'll get it here in Australia.

vkartikv
04-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Have you tried the wilson tl gels? I got rid of the leather on my wilson prostaffs and put them instead. They even come in white so you don't need an overgrip :)

AndrewD
04-19-2006, 07:33 AM
No, I haven't tried the Wilson gel replacement grips. So far all I've used is ProKennex which I found excellent but hard to find around my area.

Basically, the reason Im looking is because my grip size is close to but not exactly a 4 5/8. So, I use a 3/8 and put a replacement grip over the top of the original grip. Gives me the ideal size between a 1/2 and 5/8. I find that an overgrip on a 1/2 isn't enough and I dislike the feel so I use a well cushioned replacement as the base and then use a contoured replacement grip, minus the foam backing/contour (take that off and it becomes thinner than a standard replacement grip) as the top grip. Different to most people, but it works for me.

So, what I need is a well cushioned replacement grip that will be the base grip.It doesn't need to be highly absorbent and can be perforated (but absolutely not contoured) so long as it is very cushioned.

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
try gamma gels, ill be honest, i havent tried them myself, but since the inside of the grip is filled with a gel-kind-of-substance, it would generally retain it's thickness quite well, no?

EDIT: im from oz 2, but u mite find it on the net somewhere/

Freedom
04-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Wilson Cushion Aire.

Try the black-yellow if you can find it.

La Bomba
04-22-2006, 06:48 PM
AndrewD, why don't you use a heat shrink sleeve (1/2 size) then your gripsize will be in between 4 3/8 and 4 1/2. So then you will only need one replacement grip and overgrip.

thirdandlong15
04-23-2006, 10:39 PM
The Head Hydrosorb has alot of cushion. I replaced my original Babloat factory grip with it and it's easily the best one I've used. But to each their own.

AJK1
07-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Andrew G, like you, i use a 4 3/8 handle but i use a Wilson leather grip as the base, and put a HEAD Hydrosorb over that. I think it is around a 4 5/8 size by then. It feels superb. Try it!

emo5
07-20-2006, 12:23 AM
EDIT:I accidentally posted too early ><

emo5
07-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Andrew D ,where abouts in Australia do you live? I live in sydney
Have you tried any of the Alinta ones? They're pretty cushiony and will last a long time considering your putting it underneath.
Alinta is an australian brand so your very liekly to find it. Just don't look in Rebel Sport or big stores since they like to contract with American brands.
Pro shops at clubs will normally have them.

jonolau
07-20-2006, 12:30 AM
If you have Gamma in Oz, the Hi-Tech Gel grips have really nice cushioning and seems to last forever.

http://www.gammasports.com/Gamma.cfm?ProdID=9&secondary=254563

brucie
07-20-2006, 01:10 AM
The RAB Air Sprung grips last long are chuinky and thick with good cushioning too.

emo5
07-20-2006, 04:57 AM
If you have Gamma in Oz, the Hi-Tech Gel grips have really nice cushioning and seems to last forever.

http://www.gammasports.com/Gamma.cfm?ProdID=9&secondary=254563

Yeah those ones look pretty cool, I was about to get them but I went for leather coz I couldn't resist (bloody rip though... 32 AUD (24 US)).
I wish I could stock up on tennis gear without the $100000 delivery fee from the US..

jonolau
07-20-2006, 04:59 AM
Yeah those ones look pretty cool, I was about to get them but I went for leather coz I couldn't resist (bloody rip though... 32 AUD (24 US)).
I wish I could stock up on tennis gear without the $100000 delivery fee from the US..
Hi emo5. Do you use the leather stock or do you use an overgrip on it? Just curious, why do you want to use leather?

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 05:25 AM
karakal replacement grips are very good and could last more than 5 months.

Proud Pusher
07-20-2006, 06:06 AM
AndrewD, have you tried the Micro Dry Comfort? Worlds apart from the
Micro Dry Feel as far as cushioning.

Ken

emo5
07-21-2006, 03:14 AM
Hi emo5. Do you use the leather stock or do you use an overgrip on it? Just curious, why do you want to use leather?

To tell you the truth jonolau, I just wanted to try what all these people at TT wer talking about and to make my racket headlight.
I have tried using leather without the overgrip and I was amazed, even though I played with it in the rain the first time it still retained it's tack after being wet. It also has this feel which synthetic grips cant give me. Now I use an overgrip ontop of it becuase i want to protect it (sicne it cost so damn much), it normally tans if Im using a white overgrip
By the way Im using Gamma Leather Grip

jonolau
07-21-2006, 07:03 AM
To tell you the truth jonolau, I just wanted to try what all these people at TT wer talking about and to make my racket headlight.
I have tried using leather without the overgrip and I was amazed, even though I played with it in the rain the first time it still retained it's tack after being wet. It also has this feel which synthetic grips cant give me. Now I use an overgrip ontop of it becuase i want to protect it (sicne it cost so damn much), it normally tans if Im using a white overgrip
By the way Im using Gamma Leather Grip
Thanks, emo5 for the feedback. I might just give the Gamma a shot when my replacement grip is buggered.

Jon

dewey2110
07-21-2006, 10:30 PM
try Babolat syntec, thick, durable, holds shape long.

emo5
07-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks, emo5 for the feedback. I might just give the Gamma a shot when my replacement grip is buggered.

Jon

Well, if you do, could you let me know how much it costed you?
I want to see the price difference of two countries who don't get tennis equipment at bargain prices compared to the US.

by the way, the leather grip is not cushiony at all.

jonolau
07-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Well, if you do, could you let me know how much it costed you?
I want to see the price difference of two countries who don't get tennis equipment at bargain prices compared to the US.

by the way, the leather grip is not cushiony at all.
No worries. By the way, I'm located in Singapore, not the US.