PDA

View Full Version : 4 stupid hours

Anonymous
06-26-2004, 08:01 PM
It took me 4 stupid hours to string my first racquet on revo 4000. It didn't help that i strung a cheap racquet that i had to make up a pattern for or that i had to fix the clamps as they were not straight when i got it. My first racquet ever took 4 hours. After that I strung a friends racquet and it took me 2.5 hours.
Now questions:
1. Some places you can't clamp right next to the frame, here when i release the string from the gripper the clamp moves a couple of millimeters and therefore loses some tension, how do you get around this?
2. My machine came with 2 flying clamps, what do i use them for?
3. How do you know when the frame is mounted firmly enough without over tightening?
4. When i pre-weaved the crosses do you leave slack on all of them or just the first. I did it on the first then it was really hard to pull the string through
5. How do people weave so fast?
Thanks

PHSTennis
06-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Hehe great fun isnt it? I string first racquet was a crap racquet I said screw it and took out my Triad and just went for it lol ;) thats called drawback I believe... thats perfectly normal, its suppose to do that, not too much though, couple mm is right. Those flying claps are you call them, removable clamps... you might need them if you get stuck I suppose...I use them to start... clamp the first 2.... When I mount it just have it all the way and then like half a turn... something soft... Just like in autotech you tighen and give it a little turn, dont overtighten as the teacher said to me ;) Pre-Weave I do not do, I just weave and tension weave and tension.... People weave fast... well the first job for me was about 4 hours too hehe on a Alpha Blu-DC PLUS.... now I do around 30 mins each on my 20th+ frames, dont worry, you ll get it, you stringing 2 piece? I figured that was easiest for me when I started, I still only use 2 piece :)

newbie123
06-27-2004, 12:09 AM
Heh my first string job was weird. I did it on a Eagnas Hawk(floor/upright, spring-cranked machine) on a WIlson HH 6.6 Rollers Midplus. It took me two hours. The problem was that I had like 10 misweaves cause I didnt know they were suppose to be one up one down. Now it takes me about 50 minutes including mounting and takign strings out. Im stil having problems with the string curling up on me and creating knots. Its sooo freaking annoying. Bah. I havent tried two piece yet, gonna do it soon tho probably.

The string will lose a little tension when you release it from the gripper. At first I was pretty worried about that and tried to fix it.....but really it doesnt matter a whole lot. Maybe couple lbs off....and I remember someone saying some people cant even tell a 5 lb difference. Tighten the racquet so that you cant move it around with reasonable force.

rich s
06-27-2004, 05:17 AM
- -

rich s
06-27-2004, 05:20 AM
1. Some places you can't clamp right next to the frame, here when i release the string from the gripper the clamp moves a couple of millimeters and therefore loses some tension, how do you get around this?

The clamp movement is called drawback, it is inevitable regardless of the type of machine you have. To combat both of these situations you can do one of two things. Live with it or string at a tension that is 1-2 lbs tighter than what you want.

2. My machine came with 2 flying clamps, what do i use them for?

door stops

3. How do you know when the frame is mounted firmly enough without over tightening?

When you can't move the frame within the mount. You keep tightening the mounting points in small increments until you can't wiggle the frame within the mounts. Tighten the mounting points in an alternating pattern and watch for frame distortion as you tighten.

4. When i pre-weaved the crosses do you leave slack on all of them or just the first. I did it on the first then it was really hard to pull the string through

Since you are new to stringing I would suggest that you just string one ahead until you get a feel for what is going on. Don't try to do too much too soon/quickly.

5. How do people weave so fast?

Practice and experience. Don't expect to be an expert overnight. The more you do the faster you will get.

Anonymous
06-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the tips,

I did 2 piece,

Anonymous
06-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the tips,

I did 2 piece, i have no clue whatsoever about 1 piece

PHSTennis
06-27-2004, 12:27 PM
I strung about 20 racquets... never done 1 piece, its mouted right, just when its snug... unless you want to over tighten it like the lugnuts on my friends car, has a tirelock... he cant take it off anymore... lol the key is dead I guess... so all he has is to do it by hand.... haha ;)

Steve Huff
06-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Don't add tension to make up for the "drawback". You'll gain it back when you tension the next string. You might have to add tension to the tie-off strings though. A lot of stringers add around 5# to those. Get a USRSA instruction tape. It is about $30, but helps with all aspects of racket care. It's cheap compared to a broken frame, and really cheap if it can cut your time in half.

kninetik
06-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Ive strung 15 racquets so far and for me the speed at which I do my crosses depend on the racquet.

POG 14x18 in a 93in frame = smooth non stop weave in under 10 seconds no problem.

Dunlop 200g max 18x20 in a 85un frame = struggle halfway through the weave because the string woven gets tight.

Keep working on it and it'll start to becomes second nature. I used to second guess if I misweaved or not but now I dont even bother checking.

David Pavlich
06-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Don't prelace the crosses. It's a waste of time. Weaving one ahead is the way to go..

If you want to minimize the friction created when weaving, weave in a deep v pattern. In other words, starting at the head, weave toward the middle of the throat, pull a little string when you get there, then weave back toward the head. There's a good video of this technique at the Silent Partner web page. Just click on the video link and look for the speed stringing contest.

While speed stringing isn't the best of tutorials, it will give you insight into how fast AND efficient an experienced stringer can be.

David

finchy
06-27-2004, 08:47 PM
my coach can get 1 done by 45 minutes...

:P practice makes perfect bud. keep trying.

Anonymous
06-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks alot for the advice guys

fastdunn
06-28-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm also kinda newbie stringer. About 15 string jobs under my belt for 1 and half years....

I'm personally OK with drawbacks near tie off strings (in 2 piece stringing)
because I like it more loose around that area anyway....

It took 1.5 hour for my 1st couple of string jobs and then I realized their poor qualities.
Then with all my efforts for consistencies (with my entry level drop weight machine)..
it took about 3 hours to do a quality jobs.
After that I'm reducing it down to about 1.5 hour now (with quality)...
In the meantime, I had my racquet strung by professional stringers to compare qualities....

Good luck..