PDA

View Full Version : Help:Roller Hopper

peternk
04-21-2006, 07:46 AM
hi i am looking to buy one of the cylindrical roller hoppers like the lobster one or wilson etc. could any one help me out here. I have a massive bucket of balls that i bring to the tennis court with my kids. there are probably about 500 balls in the bucket. (we are yet to make a substancial dent into the entire mass of balls.) We play a game where you are aiming down the middle or wide on the serve and the one who comes closest gets the point. You play until you are either to tired to go on or when u run out of balls, which we are yet to do. All of our serves have improved tremendiously. Unfortunately, after we have to pick up the balls. We have a gamma hi-rise that holds 75 but its a real pain to pick up all the balls. I think that the roller hoppers would help. Has anyone used them, and if so what are the pros and cons. Thank you.

Midlife crisis
04-21-2006, 12:50 PM
The roller hoppers are the kids' favorites. When it's close to time to pick up all the balls at my son's lessons, everyone is leaning towards it to be the first to grab it when the coach yells "Pick up the balls".

Let me say that the only ones I have a lot of familiarity with are those that run the ball around the cylinder and plop it out the front into a removeable tray that you can then dump the balls into a hopper of some sort. These work really well and make a cool "pop" sound on every ball, but to transport it they're heavy and unless the handle collapses or disassembles, too big to fit in a regular vehicle.

We do a 75 ball hopper all the time. The easiest way to pick them up is push all the balls into a corner or up against the net and then its an easy one pass job with a hopper. For 500 balls, though, that would be quite a chore.

peternk
04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Thank you for the quick responce. Do you know of any that do have colapsable handles. thnks again.

peternk
04-21-2006, 03:40 PM
one other thing. the one that you are reffering to that makes the cool pop sound on every ball lol do u have a picture of it or know the name or have a link to it on the internet. thnx

Midlife crisis
04-21-2006, 10:35 PM
one other thing. the one that you are reffering to that makes the cool pop sound on every ball lol do u have a picture of it or know the name or have a link to it on the internet. thnx

I'll check it out when I go to the club tomorrow. All I know is that it's basically painted green. I never looked to see who made it or if it has collapsible handles, but I'll check it out tomorrow.

peternk
04-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Thank yOU !!

Midlife crisis
05-06-2006, 08:01 PM
I hope it's not too late, but I had my first chance to look at the roller hopper just tonight. It appears to be made by "Playmate", which is written in large letters across the top of it. It has two large, lawn-mower like rubber/plastic wheels that are about 8 inches in diameter. The handle looks like it can be disassembled by loosening four large wingnuts, two on each side of the handle. However, the "arms" that scoop the balls towards the rollers don't look they can come off easily. The arms are easily three feet wide at their opening, and widen a bit before curving back towards the roller itself. They protrude forward about three feet as well. There is a detachable wire basket that's probably 30 X 18 X 6 inches that can probably hold about 100-150 balls. I'd guess it's probably about 50 pounds altogether.

It probably doesn't meet your portability needs, but we had a blast today rushing to pick up the balls as we ran just a bit late in our session.

peternk
05-07-2006, 06:19 AM
thanks you.

i am goin to purchase one that is a roller hopper. it has a cylindrical basket and it holds 150 balls. i think it will fit my needs best. thank you