PDA

View Full Version : pulling over the frame

charlesy
02-19-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure I can explain my problem properly with my poor English but let me try.

I have a Czech drop weight machine. The level of the racket mounted on this machine is higher than clutch. When I string the center of the buttom holes(holes between "Y" throat, usually 6 or 8 holes), I had to pull the string over the "Y" type racket throat. Because string clutch is lower than racket on the machine. I was afraid of damagging racket. So I pulled two mains from racket head side. It's ok when I string stiff strings. But I couldn't pull the soft strings because it stretched so much and I couldn't locate the bar at horizontal position.

Any help?
I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

David Pavlich
02-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm not familiar with the Czech machine, however if your racquet is mounted correctly, you shouldn't damage your frame because it's pulling at a down angle.

The only negative affect of pulling at an angle is the added friction. But, even with this added friction, if you pull the same every time, you will have a consistent string bed.
David

Craig Sheppard
02-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Charles,

Have you tried pulling the string below the 'Y'? For the middle few mains at the bottom, you'd pull it through the Y and string under the side of the frame rather than over it. That'll put less tension on the frame and the stringer.

Craig

rich s
02-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Put a business card or a piece of cardboard between the string and the frame if you are concerned with damaging the paint.

The string will not structurally damage the frame when you pull it and it is against the frame.

Gaines Hillix
02-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Charles, if the level of the mounted racquet is above the tension head(clutch) you shouldn't have to pull the string over the top of the frame. You should be able to route it under the frame to the tension head.

rich s
02-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Duh!!!! Don't ask me what I was thinking - I couldn't tell ya!

I agree with Gaines.

rich

Deuce
02-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Yeah - Craig and Gaines have this one.

I can't think of a a reason you can't go under.

charlesy
02-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks all.
Either way, string should go through frame. Angle is in between. I'll check which way is better.
If I go under, string will lift frame up little bit. If go over, string will push frame down.

Gaines Hillix
02-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Charles, the choice is really yours then. If the frame is close to level with the tension head then you can go over the frame and do like rich said and put a business card between the frame and the string to protect it.

NoBadMojo
02-28-2004, 07:16 PM
I have always been going over w. the way my inexpensive drop weight stringer is constructed and it has never been a problem nor have i damaged the finish of the frames ever...the string just kind of slides on the surface when you pull. stringing under puts the string at an awkward angle on my machine. i am sure the business card trick would work if you are concerned about it. Ed