PDA

View Full Version : Help getting bumper gaurd back on

Ash Doyle
06-27-2004, 06:31 AM
I took the bumper gaurd off my POG oversize to put lead tape underneath it. Placing the lead tape went great, but I could not get the bumber guard back on. I assumed it was due to the stretched out grommets so I ordered a new bumper guard for it from TW. I still can't get it on.

I've started from one end of the guard and tried to work my way around, but I finally reach a point where I can't get the grommets through. It's like they don't reach the hole. I've started the guard in the middle and tried to work each side down, and everytime I end up with three grommets on each side that I can't get through. I'm sure I have the right gaurd.

Somebody please give me some pointers so I can get this back on.

andtapes
06-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Do you trie to heat the bumper?
You can use a hair drier.

PHSTennis
06-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Okay dont start from the middle ;) lol. First of all you have to start on one side, heat gun or hair drier would help but I didnt need it. Just use a straight awl and do 1 hole at a time, try not the bend the groments... that will be a pain in the ***.... not that hard :) My first took about 3 minutes to take off and about 30 mins to put on lol...

Gaines Hillix
06-27-2004, 01:54 PM
A little heat and a straight stringer's awl work wonders in getting the strings and guard installed. When you get to the point that the tubes won't reach, insert the awl into the string/grommet tube and then into the outside hole. Pull and push on the awl, prying the tube into place. Then work it through the inside hole. Put your thumb on the strip and then slowly pull the awl out and move on to the next hole. A plastic hammer also helps get the strings/guard snug to the frame once you have the grommets through the holes. You can also roll the edge of the racquet head across a table or the floor while applying pressure to work them in. When you string the racquet with new strings/guard installed, raise the tension by a couple of lbs. on the first job. Also, watch out for the grommets wanting to pop back out on the tension head side when you pull the string tight. You can use your thumb to hold it in place. This is most likely to happen at the bottom of the strips.

Eug
06-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Its never a good idea to take out grommets because the tie off holes have been enlarged and are super difficult to get back in. Maybe try squeezing the enlarged wholes back into shape. Good luck.

Steve Huff
06-27-2004, 05:43 PM
I've had better luck starting most grommets in the middle instead of on one side. For the harder ones, I use a hair dryer and soften them up and use an awl to get them through the holes. Don't force them too much with the awl though as you can shear off a grommet as it tries to get through the hole.

David Pavlich
06-27-2004, 07:41 PM
I just did my POG OSs and your experience is the same as mine. However, with the help of my heat gun and the awl, as Sir Gaines has pointed out, it went well. It takes patience. I started at one end.

And if you think that one is fun, wait 'til you do the mp version with the tighter radius.

David

kninetik
06-27-2004, 09:39 PM
And if you think that one is fun, wait 'til you do the mp version with the tighter radius.

Oh..... I just recieved a POG MP with 2 broken grommet holes and need them replaced. Damn you!!!! I mean... Thanks for the delightful words that will inspire confidence on my first grommet replacement job. :P

David Pavlich
06-28-2004, 03:51 PM

Oh..... I just recieved a POG MP with 2 broken grommet holes and need them replaced. Damn you!!!! I mean... Thanks for the delightful words that will inspire confidence on my first grommet replacement job. :P

When you successfully complete the POG MP grommet kit, sit back and have a cold one and revel in your accomplishment. Patience is a real virtue...remember that!

I keep small wire ties handy for the stubborn ones that don't like to stay put, especially at one end or the other of the bumper guard. The ties secure the bumper without marking the frame.

David