PDA

View Full Version : good choice for a ball machine

andyroddick's mojo
04-21-2006, 11:00 PM
hey guys
i've been trying to hit more through out the week to get a lot better, but i need a reliable hitting partner. Some of my friends are busy and i don't want to bother them, but I still want to play. A bucket of balls and serving doesn't help that much for my entire game either so I'm looking into purchasing a ball machine that could last me several years. Through your experiences which ball machines are the best? My price range is about 500-750 or 800 if possible. Can hold just like 100 balls, but must have oscillation and spin, no need for a remote control. It'd be nice if it could do some random stuff too. Well if there isn't one with all these things, and in the price range, could you just tell me some that have these things anyways but aren't in the price range, thanks a lot. I was thinking lobster was a good brand of maybe tennis tutor. THANKS!

Ljubicic for number1
04-23-2006, 03:56 AM
The lobster 401 tournament has alot of features for the price, 150 ball capacity, speed adjustable, horizontal & vertical oscillation, manual spin adapter "slice or topspin", 3,6,or 9 second intervals. the only downsides is they are a bit noisy "vacum cleaner sound" and need mains power "no battery"

John.

louis netman
04-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Tennis Tutor machines by Sports Tutor are rock solid. They invented the spinning-wheel, ball machine. XLNT customer service and they're just a great bunch of people!!!

flatpick
04-27-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree, Tennis Tutor is a solid machine and well worth the money. I have a TT Pro-lite with battery and oscillator. You would be surprised how few courts have direct access to an electrical outlet - unless you have a battery you may be very limited in terms of where you can use the machine. Also, I recommend the smart charger option. Everything cost me around $800.

jamauss
04-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I bought the lowest level model "SAM" (Sports Action Machine) ball machine from mastersports.com. It was just a little over $900 and it oscillates, topspin, slice, or flat, adjustable speed and adjustible interval. I've used mine for probably between 75-100 hours over the last few months and it's given me no trouble at all. It's small enough that I can just put it in the trunk of my car (sedan) and drive it down to the court with me.

snoflewis
04-27-2006, 05:31 PM
I agree, Tennis Tutor is a solid machine and well worth the money. I have a TT Pro-lite with battery and oscillator. You would be surprised how few courts have direct access to an electrical outlet - unless you have a battery you may be very limited in terms of where you can use the machine. Also, I recommend the smart charger option. Everything cost me around $800.

flatpick, how is the machine? im thinking about saving up for one but im not sure if i really want to spend the money on it. im looking at the TT pro-lite w/ battery (no oscillator).

andyroddick's mojo
04-27-2006, 08:57 PM
hey guys, well i just purchased the lobster elite 1

a little pricey at a little less then 1200, YIKES i know, but i'm planning on using it a lot, and lobster is supposed to be known for durability right? I guess I also have to buy a lot of balls. Well mine, does topspin, slice, oscilates, both normal and randomly, it does lobs too. 10-85 mph, 150 ball capacity, and the battery i hear is pretty good too. Hope its worth the money!!

snoflewis
04-27-2006, 09:28 PM
hey guys, well i just purchased the lobster elite 1

a little pricey at a little less then 1200, YIKES i know, but i'm planning on using it a lot, and lobster is supposed to be known for durability right? I guess I also have to buy a lot of balls. Well mine, does topspin, slice, oscilates, both normal and randomly, it does lobs too. 10-85 mph, 150 ball capacity, and the battery i hear is pretty good too. Hope its worth the money!!

haha...nice to hear you got one. let us know how it performs!

flatpick
04-28-2006, 05:43 AM
snoflewis:

I like my TT Pro-lite. Ball machines in general are a good tool for improving your game. You get the repetition required to groove your strokes, it's a good workout (especially with the oscillator), and you don't have to arrange to meet someone to hit with. Although, I still hit with a partner about once-a-week.

The machine is very simple in design and easy to use. I highly recommend the battery powered model with the smart charger option. Also, go to Wal-Mart and get a luggage dolly to help tote the machine and balls.

I figured that with the cost of lessons, the machine pays for itself in less than 50 hours of use. So it's not a bad investment.

Good luck.

andyroddick's mojo
04-28-2006, 07:13 PM
just got my ball machine in the mail!
yeah! but its raining now, so I'll have to wait to test it out.

jamauss
04-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I'd be interested to hear how close it can get to the advertised "85 mph". Mine advertised that as the top speed too and, IMO, comes nowhere close. 55mph is more like it. I could probably throw a tennis ball harder than it comes out of my machine.

andyroddick's mojo
04-28-2006, 10:11 PM
do you have the spin setting on high? because that lowers the speed too, so if you have normal shots at like 50, and want topspin, you need to set the speed at about 55 or higher.

jamauss
04-29-2006, 12:29 AM
I've put the speed up to maximum before, with a little topspin (cause I was curious what 85mph should look like) and when the ball came over I could just tell it wasn't anywhere close to 85mph. I understand how topspin can affect speed but if that was the case I'd be expecting a 70-75mph ball, not 55-60mph.

Or maybe I'm just really good and 85mph seems slow to me. :) ya, riiiight.

andyroddick's mojo
04-29-2006, 09:11 AM
haha maybe..