PDA

View Full Version : Wooden racquet serve speeds?

willydslc
06-27-2004, 09:52 AM
What was a typical serve speed in wooden racquet days?

I have been watching the Borg vs. McEnroe 1981 Wimledon Match and it is amazing how far back both of the players are behind the baseline.

Watching the Rodick vs. Dent match right now and I know they beat the hell out of it by comparison but stand only just behind the baseline.

Just curious on any info or thoughts on the subject, it was a bit before my time.

Thanks

NoBadMojo
06-27-2004, 03:17 PM
wily the game has changed alot and neither borg nor connors had big serves alto borgs seemed to always improve. serve speeds w. the wooden axes werent really that much less than the modern servers (other than roddick and guys that get in the 140's). guys like roscoe tanner and before him pancho gonzales were considered huge servers. you gotta remember that the returners these days are returning w. 95 s inches (on average) of powerful graphite vs maybe 65 sq inches of flexy wood back then. advantage return of serve IMO. anyway tennis magazine a long time ago had philipoosisisisis serving w. his own frame, a game improvement frame and a wooden frame..the wooden frame served the least mph, but was within a small few mph of his reg frame. i think serves are faster now more because the servers are stronger and have better technique (in many cases)than the servers of the olden days. ed

David Pavlich
06-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey Ed! Maybe you remember several years ago when the Scud was handed a woodie and was cracking them at 125 mph. I believe it was in Tennis Magazine. I'll bet it was fun trying to hit that 50 cent piece sized sweet spot!

David