PDA

View Full Version : Cases of Tennis "Yips" ??

Captain America
04-22-2006, 06:50 AM
While reading the discussion about Coria's serving woes, it got me wondering if there's been any documented cases of pro tennis players with the "yips".

Some athletes in other sports have developed mental barriers that kept them from doing the simplest things. I recall Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblauch, two baseball players with superior skills who went through periods where they weren't able to make the easist throws to first base. Golfer Bernard Langer went though something similar on short putts during the prime of his career.

Anyone aware of this kind of thing happening to a pro tennis player?

Amone
04-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Well, I suppose there's Safin and his Santoro problem...

ShcMad
04-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Safin definitely has a Santoro-phobia

"being told I would play Santoro was being told I was to die".

tiamat
04-22-2006, 08:14 AM
I guess it's Dementieva. She is said to hit topspin serves and pick all corrners of the box in practice. But under pressure she falls back to throwing in only those ugly slice serves to the returner's forehand

Moose Malloy
04-22-2006, 10:17 AM
MELBOURNE, JAN 21, 1999: Russian tennis pin-up Anna Kournikova served an incredible 31 double faults today but lived to fight another day at the Australian Open.

The performance by the 17-year-old 12th seed ranked as one of the most embarrassing in Grand Slam history -- and completely upstaged a procession of worthy second round wins for the tournament's big guns.

Kournikova has seen her serve all but collapse in recent weeks. In the run-up to the Open she served almost 100 double faults in six matches. In the first round here, she served 23.

Today, against 80th ranked Miho Saeki of Japan, the former Wimbledon semi-finalist saw her serve touch rock bottom -- although her game Japanese opponent could not always capitalise on her distress.

The Russian clung on for a 1-6, 6-4, 10-8 win before rushing to the bench and covering her head in her towel, her shoulders convulsed by sobs.

http://www.expressindia.com/ie/daily...02250235p.html

pound cat
04-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Safin definitely has a Santoro-phobia

"being told I would play Santoro was being told I was to die".

He has a worse phobia...the latest from the Big Guy himself (cirrent Smash Mag interview)

"The one thing worse than playing Santoro is going to the dentist"

Keep up with the quotes, Marat....LOL

dubsplayer
04-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Gaby had the yips too, especially towards the end of her career.