PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Vibe damp out there that will make my racquet silent?

The Pusher Terminator
04-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Everyone says that one of the biggest weapons of the old "spaghetti string" system was that when the ball came into contact with the strings it virtually made no sound. This drove opponents crazy! Since these strings are illegal I was wondering if we could recreate that "silencing" effect with a Vibe dampener. Is there a Vibe damp out there that will make my racquet virtually silent?

str33t
04-22-2006, 12:41 PM
you mean to make it so you can't even hear the ball hit the strings ? that's pretty hard

LowProfile
04-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Err... a few of those worm dampeners might work. One mutes the sound a lot, so two or three should silence it further. The problem is, I'm not sure a racquet has room for a few of those things.

dakels
04-22-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't understand why you would want this? By adding so many vibe dampeners you might get a near silent racquet but you'd also get a very dead racquet and stringbed. You could never silence the ball either. That will always make at least a little bit of sound.

Anyways the closest thing I have heard to a "silent" racquet is a racquet with 2 worms on the sides 9 and 3, and 4 foam dampeners on the bottom and top of the stringbed, plus they had about 16 string savers placed into the center of the sweet spot. The racquet felt like a 2x4 piece of lumber to me but obviously they liked it for some reason. I have also felt a racquet with about 10 thick rubber bands weaved all around the string bed. Same feeling. Very dead and too much pop. Regardless both racquets still made noise as they hit the ball but it was mostly the pop of the ball. Alot of the sound depends on the pace of the shot of course.

Zeph
04-22-2006, 01:24 PM
completely muted?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-SB2.html

case closed.

The Pusher Terminator
04-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't understand why you would want this? By adding so many vibe dampeners you might get a near silent racquet but you'd also get a very dead racquet and stringbed. You could never silence the ball either. That will always make at least a little bit of sound.

Anyways the closest thing I have heard to a "silent" racquet is a racquet with 2 worms on the sides 9 and 3, and 4 foam dampeners on the bottom and top of the stringbed, plus they had about 16 string savers placed into the center of the sweet spot. The racquet felt like a 2x4 piece of lumber to me but obviously they liked it for some reason. I have also felt a racquet with about 10 thick rubber bands weaved all around the string bed. Same feeling. Very dead and too much pop. Regardless both racquets still made noise as they hit the ball but it was mostly the pop of the ball. Alot of the sound depends on the pace of the shot of course.

Again, the reason would be to gain an advantage over my opponent. The 'spaghetti strings" were silent and caused opponents to lose their timing. You don't realze it but some of your timing is subonciously based on hearing the ball hit your opponents strings. Therefore if there is no sound as there was with the spaghetti strings then you could gain a significant advantage.

Is it legal to place dampeners at 9 and 3 oclock and near the top? And whats a foam dampener?

ShcMad
04-22-2006, 02:53 PM
My friend told me it's illegal to put anything above the last(or first) cross string. Don't know if it's true though.

c_zimma
04-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, it is illegal.

snoflewis
04-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah, it is illegal.

yep...it is

i use the wilson shock trap dampener (covers 8 mains) and that does a pretty good job of making the racket silent upon impact...as i hate that pinging noise as well

vkartikv
04-22-2006, 04:28 PM
The volkl dampeners and luxilon square shaped ones are pretty good in this department.

Masamusou
04-22-2006, 07:46 PM
My friend told me it's illegal to put anything above the last(or first) cross string. Don't know if it's true though.

Not exactly... It is illegal for the dampener to be inside the stringbed. You can have dampeners at the top (only above the top cross), at the bottom (only below the bottom cross), and at 3 and 9 (only outside the outermost main). That is the rule.

Case 3. Can vibration dampening devices be placed on the strings of a racket and if so, where can they be placed?

Decision. Yes; but such devices may be placed only outside the pattern of crossed strings.

diredesire
04-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Not exactly... It is illegal for the dampener to be inside the stringbed. You can have dampeners at the top (only above the top cross), at the bottom (only below the bottom cross), and at 3 and 9 (only outside the outermost main). That is the rule.

Case 3. Can vibration dampening devices be placed on the strings of a racket and if so, where can they be placed?

Decision. Yes; but such devices may be placed only outside the pattern of crossed strings.

Bingo. Nice reply mas. shock dampeners can be placed out side the peripheral mains/Crosses.

Furthermore, shock busters won't exactly silence the shot, you'll still get a "pop", just less of a "buzz."

If you want to attempt to silence your racquet, you can try stringing at about 20-30 lbs. I know a guy that does this. However, he plays a POG SOS (130si... maybe 135?). He skips every other cross, which I believed to be illegal, but I believe as long as the crosses are uniform (or, the string pattern is uniform), it is still legal. I only researched this very briefly, though.

His shot is dead silent, and it's pretty funny, because once he hit a ball and it went through his strings... :eek:

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-23-2006, 01:13 AM
yep...it is

i use the wilson shock trap dampener (covers 8 mains) and that does a pretty good job of making the racket silent upon impact...as i hate that pinging noise as well

i use the shock trap as well...i wouldnt say it shuts my racquet up completely, but it does the job. i think shockbuster 2 and smartsorb would be the dampeners u r looking for.

The Pusher Terminator
04-23-2006, 04:19 AM
Bingo. Nice reply mas. shock dampeners can be placed out side the peripheral mains/Crosses.

Furthermore, shock busters won't exactly silence the shot, you'll still get a "pop", just less of a "buzz."

If you want to attempt to silence your racquet, you can try stringing at about 20-30 lbs. I know a guy that does this. However, he plays a POG SOS (130si... maybe 135?). He skips every other cross, which I believed to be illegal, but I believe as long as the crosses are uniform (or, the string pattern is uniform), it is still legal. I only researched this very briefly, though.

His shot is dead silent, and it's pretty funny, because once he hit a ball and it went through his strings... :eek:

That makes sense..the original spaghetti strings were VERY loose and made virtually no sound. Hey maybe I just thought of a great invention...a complete silencer for tennis racquets!

maconick
04-24-2006, 12:17 AM
completely muted?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-SB2.html

case closed.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raftenis
04-29-2006, 09:07 PM
After tried all kind of string vib dampeners an spend a lot of money ,I'll find the best on my son's school back pack, ....yes a rubber band ,like Agassi's did,the rub-band mutes the sound better and isolate the vibration of all my racquet's including a previously noised Prince More Attack 1050,now I have always a bag of rubber bands to share with my friends on court.