PDA

View Full Version : installing heat shrink sleeves

flash44
04-22-2006, 06:20 PM
do you just have to use a heat gun or can i use a blow dryer or something?

mark rodgers
04-22-2006, 06:59 PM
I guess you could try a blow dryer but the air better be pretty hot. If it doesn't work then go get a heat gun at a hardware store. I think you get it in the paint department. I saw one for $30 at home depot.

Midlife crisis
04-22-2006, 08:25 PM
do you just have to use a heat gun or can i use a blow dryer or something?

I've installed them using a high powered (1500+ watt) hair dryer. You have to have some way to semi-enclose the grip to keep the heat concentrated as much as possible. I used the corner of a wooden box and directed the hair dryer right at the corner where the sleeve was. It takes a few minutes to get it good and tight, but this has worked for me really well every time.

bigserving
04-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Any source of heat will do. I just crank up the heat on one of they eyes on my stove. It makes it easy. Using the stove, I can use both hands to rotate the frame and distribute the heat evenly. Takes about thirty seconds.

Davai
04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Any source of heat will do. I just crank up the heat on one of they eyes on my stove. It makes it easy. Using the stove, I can use both hands to rotate the frame and distribute the heat evenly. Takes about thirty seconds.

That's a really smart idea. I have always used a hair dryer, and it worked out fine. One piece of advice, if you precut the shrink sleeve leave an extra inch and a half, becuase it will shrink both ways significantly.

snoflewis
04-22-2006, 10:10 PM
a blow dryer is fine...just be careful and don't stay on one spot for a long time...

thevillageidiot
04-22-2006, 10:17 PM
I can second bigserving's tip about the stove. That's how I install heat shrink sleeves.

diredesire
04-22-2006, 11:16 PM
I can second bigserving's tip about the stove. That's how I install heat shrink sleeves.

Yep, i work with electronics as a hobby and I use either an open flame source or a stove. With the type of heat shrink sleeve you're likely to be working with, a hair dryer won't do in 80% of the cases.

flash44
04-23-2006, 04:35 AM
thanks for the feedback, i probably wont be using a blow dryer now... maybe i can let it bake in the hot texas sun! haha joking.

LAW2
04-24-2006, 10:55 AM
I too have used the stove top. Regular hairdryer is not hot enough. Leave the extra length as Davai suggested.

flash44
04-24-2006, 02:05 PM
how done one go about using a stove top when installing a sleeve? and another question, im planning to install some lead in the handle, is it better to apply it above or under the sleeve?

LAW2
04-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Turn on the heat, say med-hi and hold the handle and sleeve above the burner. Adjust distance to element or heat setting so as not to get it too hot. I started off boiling water but the steam wasn't hot enough. I then just moved the pot and used the element.
I would put the weight either above the sleeve or inside the handle. That way you have the option of removing the weight at a later date without having to buy another sleeve.

skraggle
04-25-2006, 04:10 PM
I have a $20 Black & Decker heat gun that works awesome...

EclipseRydr97
04-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey, when you remove the replacement grip to install the shrink sleeve, do you also remove the butt cap or do you leave it on there and place the shrink sleeve over that?

Midlife crisis
04-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey, when you remove the replacement grip to install the shrink sleeve, do you also remove the butt cap or do you leave it on there and place the shrink sleeve over that?

Most people put the shrink sleeve over the butt cap, so it increases in size as well.

As far as lead under or over the sleeve, it really depends on whether or not you're still fiddling with adding/removing it or if you're pretty set on what you want. I know what weight I want, so I would put it under the sleeve. That helps to keep the lead tape in place, because sometimes changing a grip can pull the tape off the sleeve, after which it won't stick well again.

johndagolfer
01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Will replacement grips' adhesive tear off shrink wraps?

retrograde
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
This excellent video shows you how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WVM5WKzns

plus info from TW's learning center:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/increasegrip.html

I'm an electrical engineer and use heat shrink all the time. I have a few of the TW sleeves but haven't used them. HS come in all kinds of different types with different shrink temps. The TW sleeves appear to be of the type that can be shrunk with a hair blower (as shown in the video). If in doubt, buy two, they aren't very expensive. Or see if you can borrow a heat gun used for stripping paint, shrinking covering film on model airplanes, etc.

retrograde
01-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Will replacement grips' adhesive tear off shrink wraps?
I haven't tried myself, but its very unlikely. The sleeve will be very snug and is resistant to pulling by the tape. And the sleeve has a smooth surface that will help the adhesive release.

I would be a little careful if you use a leather grip with a staple. When replacing the leather, gently pry out the old staple so that it doesn't put a tear in the sleeve.

mtommer
01-19-2010, 07:41 PM
The adhesive will not tear or affect the heat shrink tube it all. It's just to thick.

As for lead tape, I put mine over the heat shrink instead of under it. This allows me to tinker with the lead if I feel like doing so. The grip goes on fine and stays on over the lead tape, over the heat shrink tube.