PDA

View Full Version : 17g vs. 16g (OG Sheep or something else)

b.
06-27-2004, 01:09 PM
I like high string tensions. More specifically: derived control and less power.

If I play with dense string pattern (LM Prest. Mid), should I opt for 17 or 16 gauge of the same string (OG Sheep for example).

For the same tension, what is the difference when play 16g or 17g? Power, control?

If somebody had played with both, please share your knowledge!

Also - should I try to play multifilament (NRG, X-One) if I like high tensions (which translates more or less to tight stringbed). More control?

Thanks.

Steve Huff
06-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Witht the generic OG Micro, I've had a lot better luck with the 17g than the 16g. I've had the 16g OG Micro break while stringing 3 times and break in the racket before being played with once this year. I've never had this problem with the 17g (or any other string) before. I've quit using the 16g completely, even though I have 95% of a reel left. It's also a lot more oily feeling, which I don't like. The 17g makes a great cross string with many other strings in a hybrid too.

drop shot
06-27-2004, 09:30 PM
I am interested in the reel of Gosesn 16 gauge string. Please email me at dropvolley@netzero.com and we can deal. Thanks!

b.
06-28-2004, 04:01 AM
I'm puzzled by that "soft" strings thing. When I played with natural gut, I had it on high tension too. What I

really liked is that stringbed WAS tight, but it allowed ball to get in. Some kind of tight-soft mixture.
I'm reinventing hot water here ;)

So - multifilaments strung tight? If they are "soft", do I have trampoline or that "local" pocketing?

Thanks!