PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Hyper ProStaff 6.1 - oh yea!!!

Benjamin
03-02-2004, 04:56 AM
I have four demos ordered-should have been here Friday-snowed-not here 'til today. So I pulled out 3 of my "older" racquets last night just to pretend like I had some demos (since I already had people lined up to play). Prince Original Graphite Oversize, Head Ti.Radical Oversize, and Wilson Hyper ProStaff 6.1.

Head Ti.Radical OS: hit some "huge" backhand winners with it but I also hit some that were 5 feet out; with where I had it strung it was pretty big on power but small on control

Prince Original Graphite: great control for an OS; a little less maneuverable than I remember; couldn't get any power on serve; POG mid MUCH better

Wilson Hyper ProStaff 6.1: I just don't remember this racquet playing as well as it did last night; serves were bigger than with my POG mid; groundstrokes had more power; control was as good (considering the extra power I got); a little sluggish at net was the only problem I found last night; what really impressed me was the good power I got on groundstrokes without losing much/if any control compared to my POG mid - my forehand had excellent pace (normally my weak side), even when I was lazy with my feet; understandably, my topspin was much less with the HPS6.1 but slice seemed to be almost equal to the POG mid; believe it or not (I didn't believe it), the feel of the HPS6.1 was a solid as the POG mid, maybe even a little more solid; volleys were crisp and good power (although I felt a little slow at net); the weight never really bothered me all night - even going into my 7th set, the weight still felt good; I will be using this racquet again; it's amazing what you can find in an old closet.

My Babolat demos (pd, pd+, pc, pcmp) will be in today (God willing) and I'll try to get a comparison out by next Monday or Tuesday.

Have a great day.

Benjamin

bfonz7
03-02-2004, 05:55 AM
Benjamin-

I just switched over from a Surge to a 2001 Pure Control, and I'm not ever looking back.....I was always skeptical of Babolat....but i guess you could say i have turned over to the dark side now :twisted:

Benjamin
03-02-2004, 06:42 AM
One area I forgot to mention in my original post was Returns: the Hyper ProStaff 6.1 seemed to give me a better (ie: more power) response on my forehand returns than my POG mid. Not only more power but very good place and a VERY solid feel. I had much more confidence (although it is heavier than my POG mid) returning with this racquet than with my POG mid.

Benjamin

The Franchise
03-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Welcome bfonz7, welcome to the dark side. Remember, our club meetings are at you know where at you know what time. Once again, I congratulate you in becoming the newest member of Team Babolat. The Dark Army grows....hahahaha...all you other fools will perish.

Richard Pur
03-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the review on the Hyper Prostaff 6.1. I've had tough time trying to find a replacement racquet and a guy on my USTA team mentioned the HPS 6.1 to me the other day. Based on the specs, it looks really good to me. I'll be demoing that racquet soon. I'm interested in what you have to say about the Babolat racquets too.

Rich

Benjamin
03-03-2004, 12:00 PM
R.P.,

Glad to help you some with the review.

I'll try and get that comparison of the four Babolat racquets up next Monday or Tuesday.

Benjamin