PDA

View Full Version : Rubber band dampeners why do they increase tension?

spress
06-27-2004, 04:19 PM
i read on a couple website the rubberbands can increase tension by 5 pounds. How could a little rubber band do that much? i dont feel any difference in tension

Cruzer
06-28-2004, 10:40 AM
That makes absolutely no sense at all. What website is proclaiming this?

jayserinos99
06-28-2004, 11:58 AM
^^ i second that. link please.

corncob3466
06-28-2004, 12:12 PM
wow, thats crazy.

perfmode
06-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Think about it. How much force do you need to apply to pull the rubberband apart when it in on your racquet. If you need to apply a certain force to pull it apart, it applies that force inwards. rubberbands are pretty tight.

c10
06-28-2004, 05:39 PM
they do increase tension slightly, just imagine having a 6 foot stick hanging by 2 strings, the strings will be 6 foot aparte from each other, if you try to join them the stick will go up, and that is because an increase in strings tension.

Cruzer
06-29-2004, 09:16 AM
I can agree that any dampener, not just a rubber band can increase tension slightly like maybe a 1/10th of a pound but no way is it going to be five pounds.

nViATi
05-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Think about it. How much force do you need to apply to pull the rubberband apart when it in on your racquet. If you need to apply a certain force to pull it apart, it applies that force inwards. rubberbands are pretty tight.
think about it. tie a string around something loosely. pull the string. it resists being pulled apart even though it's tied loosely. i guess that means the string is applying force then? think first, reply later

Koz
05-20-2005, 11:05 PM
No way it applies 5 lbs worth of force. You can move a string sideways (main or cross) and it may lock in right there...remove your hand and you still aren't applying force yet the string will stay there. The string is still displaced, with zero increase in tension. I seriously doubt a tight rubber band would add more than a lb or so. Even if it did...it's effecting two mains, not the whole stringbed :-P

K!ck5w3rvE
05-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Look. The strings cannot be tighter....they're tied at the tie-offs! How is it actually possible for this to happen? Instead, the strings may become stiffer, which may give some people the impression that the strings are tighter. The results of a tighter stringbed can be a 'boardy feeling', and also decreased spin potential.

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-21-2005, 02:59 AM
Strings can be tighter, when the racquet is strung all the strings are straight with a certain total length A at tension X. If you bend a string, that string takes a longer path between the 2 grommet holes which means the total length of string in the racquet has increased to a length B.

Since the string is tied off the extra length comes from the strings being stretched which implies higher tension.

However I dispute the increase in 5lbs tension due to a rubber band ... how many people tie the rubber band so tight that you actually drag 2 strings next to each other so that they are touching?

Secondly, I just tried pulling 2 strings together ... where one would tie a rubber band and it does not seem to affect the string except for about an inch above and below the part where I squeezed. So on the other hand the statement might be true ... that is it increases by 5lbs only where you have squeezed it and not over the whole string bed.

mido
05-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Using frequency tension method of the string bed as described by MarcR here in the forum, dampener increases tension (frequency increases by 5 to 30 Hz, as low frequency is damped by the device).

Here are the results:
rubberband just on 2 mains +0.3 lb
dampener on 2 mains +0.9 to +1.3 lb
dampener on 2 mains and last cross +2.5 to +4.0 lb

Ash Doyle
05-22-2005, 01:24 PM
I've seen the same claim written at ************.com in an article by Jeff Tarango (remember him? The pro that made John McEnroe look like the sweetest guy that ever hit a tennis court?)