PDA

View Full Version : Stringing suggestions for the dirt

Aonex
06-28-2004, 02:16 AM
I'm trying to use up a couple packs of BDE Perf and Lux ALU and wanted to find out if you guys had any suggestions on what setup I should use. I'm starting to play on red clay a lot, and so I'm a bit worried that the gut won't last too long on it. Was thinking maybe putting some lux on the mains and the gut in the crosses to soften it up and also make it more durable? I currently play with an NXG MP w/ some NXT. I also would like to add some more pop... the NXT feels kind of dead. So I guess my 4 options are the 2 hybrid combinations or all gut, and all lux. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Aonex
06-28-2004, 02:17 AM
One more thing... when I finally use up these strings, what suggestions would you have as the strings most suitable for playing on clay. Thanks.

Anonymous
06-28-2004, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't go for gut just because it does not last very long on clay. I would reccomend Lux to get spin and durability. I would either go for fulll lux or a hybrid of lux and a soft synthetic

NoBadMojo
06-28-2004, 09:21 AM
gut is way different than poly so if you like one you aint gonna like the other. i do well w. gut hybrid (gut in the mains) on clay (har tru). gut plays well until it breaks. as long as you dont play when it is wet and as long as the balls dont pick up patter from the court you should be fine. little grains of clay will abrade the strings in a heartbeat. where i play, the balls dont pick up grains from the court. i get longer life out of my gut hybrid (by far) than i did w. a multi syn. ed

Aonex
06-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Ed, I got the lux and gut to try some different combinations of hybrids, but that was when I was still in L.A. and played on hard courts. Now I have to worry about durability and the dirt getting on the strings. Sounds like you're not having durabilty issues with the hybrid, even on har tru... so I guess I should give it a try as well. Thanks again.

NoBadMojo
06-28-2004, 06:08 PM
no worries aonex. give it a try. stringsavers are great to use wherever the gut starts to fray.really prolongs the life. you're welcome. ed

Aonex
06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
By the way, did you ever give speedminton a try? =)

NoBadMojo
06-28-2004, 06:40 PM
aye......we gave it a try. it was potentially fun, but any wind at all really affected the play (alot more than in tennis). i think played indoors it would be a fun game..outdoors not so good unless no wind. ed

Aonex
06-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Hmm... if played indoors, how much space would you need?