PDA

View Full Version : Polyester with Natural Gut ???

Benjamin
03-02-2004, 07:36 AM
I currently string with polyester (Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L or Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey 17g) on my mains and crosses.

In talking with my local stringer last night, he mentioned that I might want to keep the polyester on the mains but maybe try some natural gut on the crosses.

What advantages and disadvantages are there with doing this?

In this set-up, do you string both at the same tension or is one of the two strings strung lower?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Benjamin

Benjamin
03-02-2004, 07:41 AM
1 more question:

When doing this, do you use the same gauge of natural gut and poly (ie: if the poly is 16L, do you use 16L in the natural gut)?

Thanks.

Benjamin

Rabbit
03-02-2004, 04:03 PM
The advantages are a softer string job. The disadvantages, IMO, are I don't get the ultimate control of TIMO. If you have arm trouble, it is a great option.
If you're going to hybrid, I would proabably recommend starting out with a cheaper multi. If you're looking for some good options, Klip makes several natural gut/other string combinations. Most notably, Adrenalin which matches an 18 gauge poly with 16 gauge natural gut. You can string it with gut in the mains for more touch, or poly in the mains for more control and a deader feel.
Gauge has no bearing on the combination, IMO.

WYK
03-06-2004, 06:59 PM
I thought ALU Power was a composite, not a true poly...

WYK

hofertennis
03-06-2004, 11:45 PM
ALU Power might not be polyester but it is made from a poly blend and it is a monofilament. So if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck......