PDA

View Full Version : is this tennis/golfer's elbow?

Pyro
06-28-2004, 01:40 PM
I've had a bit of tennis elbow in the past, nothing serious, and I would usually stop for a week or two and I would have a clean slate. In fact, I had tennis elbow because I kept framing and never hit the sweetspot while serving. Anyway, that problem is long gone. I was re-demoing the Liquidmetal Prestige Mid (love that stick) and then I started serving. The thing is that I have been trying to rediscover my serve and I finally found it and it was great. So I start serving and smacking the balls like crazy and cheering saying my serve's back, finally, yayyyy. Ok, anyway, after about maybe 20 serves in a row I start to get a pain on the inside part of my right forearm. I'm pretty sure it's not tennis elbow (in this case, it could only be golfer's since it is in the inside of the arm), because lm prestige is very flexible, I was hitting the sweetspot a lot, and the lm prestige is rather heavy, about 12.5 ounces with overgrip and shock absorber. So, I got a pain below the point of my elbow and I really think it's just because my forearm is not strong enough. So, I have three questions. First, is this tennis elbow or something hazordous to my arm? Second, is there something wrong with my service motion if it led to this problem or was I just getting tired? and finally, does anyone know any exercises to help strengthen the forearm? Thank you.

Fred132
06-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Sounds like you may have golfer's elbow, or "medial epicondylitis". Overuse and poor technique can cause it.

There are a number of things you can do for it...try googling the term above, you'll get a ton of ideas.

Rickson
06-28-2004, 07:42 PM
You need to ice down your injury and evaluate your form if you're getting pain from the serve. You ever heard the old joke? Doc, I feel pain when I do this, and the Doc says, then don't do that. Stop playing tennis for a little while and the pain will surely go away.

KoolAidMan
07-01-2004, 09:36 PM
What you describe happened to me almost exactly the way you said. I was demoing a LM prestige MID and although i was serving well, getting a few aces out wide, my arm starting hurting and I also got a little shoulder pain. Im going to try the MID+ to see how it compares. The Radical OS gave me no pain at all in my arm, i think ill try the mid+ for that one too.