PDA

View Full Version : The best way to paint a racquet?

ktowntennis
03-02-2004, 08:36 AM
I have an iRadical that I thought about painting and I was just wondering if anyone out there had any advice as to how to go about it? What sort of spray paint do you use? Is it possible to paint a racquet something more than just a solid color?

jayserinos99
03-02-2004, 08:49 AM
I just repainted my PT 280s to a solid matte black. The hardest part of it for me was to actually get the paint off the racquets. At first I went with a paint remover in a can that had the citrus scent, but that wasn't strong enough so I went with Bulldog Paint Remover. That stuff is strong, but there was one racquet in particular that was very stubborn. I just got rid of it the best I could and sanded it over to get rid of the excess paint. I then used 2 coats of automotive primer, 2 coats of semi-gloss black paint followed by 1 coat of satin finish clear coat. Any spray paint should do really. I haven't reallly thought about painting it any other color other than solid black, so I really don't know about painting it other than solid.

@wright
03-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Jay, do they play exactly the same now that you painted them black? Also, did it change the weight at all? You guys must be Stones fans, "paint it black".

Ronaldo
03-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Or at least stoned during the paintjob

jayserinos99
03-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Haven't been stoned in a while, but I like the Stones. Haven't gotten around to playing w/ the frames yet since they were drying when i left them at home. As far as the weight goes, they seemed heavier after the painting.

failurebydesign
03-02-2004, 05:30 PM
I dislike the way my current PT280 looks.... wished it would be more of a blue than a purple.

Grimjack
03-02-2004, 05:37 PM
I dislike the way my current PT280 looks.... wished it would be more of a blue than a purple.

I just purchased a used PT280 from these boards. I've got a few of them, but this new one's my first purple one. All the rest are royal blue, and suddenly this one turns up purple. I didn't even know that was a possibility. Blew my mind.

Anyway, blue, purple, makes no difference to me. I think it's a sweet looking stick.

(Now if I could just find a string I could find happiness with. :evil: )

Chuck
03-03-2004, 06:50 AM
A couple of thoughts about racquet painting from my experience with painting a racquet of mine. First, I used masking tape to make the design on mine and it worked fine. Second, I used auto spray paint and a clear coat lacquer for finishing. Looked great until I took it to have it restrung and the clamps really tore up my beautiful new paint job. Anyway, if there is a really tough hard type of paint, I would suggest using that. Lacquer perhaps. The really tough part is surface prep and removing the old paint. I cut out the strings and removed the grommet before starting to sand down the racquet. Overall though, I was happy with the results and will probably try it again.