PDA

View Full Version : string savers

tennis666
06-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Do string saver at all change the feel of your racquet. Can it make it feel more dampened at all. If I dont usally break strings would there be any reason to use them.

TennsDog
06-28-2004, 06:59 PM
I have used them, both the little white plastic Gamma ones and soft teflon ones like Babolat (though actually from Eagnas). I have the Gamma savers on my third racket so I don't have to worry about those strings breaking. I broke one set of strings with savers on them. I don't generally use them anymore, though, because by the time I break strings, they need to be restrung anyways. I would say if you aren't so concerned about playability or can't tell a difference and/or don't do your own stringing, then you may want to try them. But since you don't break strings much, they may not be worth the hassle. I prefer the softer ones because they are flatter and don't distort the string bed as much, and they don't come out like the Gamma ones often do. I actually reuse string savers when I can.

joe sch
06-29-2004, 07:50 AM
I prefer to not use them and to play a thicker gut for durability but if there is a cross section that looks like its getting close to breaking, I will insert a string saver. Depending upon the ones you use and how densely you cover your string bed, they can change the feel, and increase the tension slightly. For strings that move alot, they are also handy for saving you the task of realligning your sweetspot after points.

coach
06-29-2004, 09:20 AM
I use them despite that I usually break a cross (not a main) generally right over a string stretched tight over a stringsaver. But I use them too for a little increased tension about 1-2 weeks after stringing when I feel the tension loss needs to be firmed up a bit. Finally, since stringsavers lifts up the stringbed a bit, I feel that there is a little more surface area exposed and this can help "bite" into the ball, creating more spin, especially using the cheaper, sharper, plastic string savers that Gamma has (not the Deluxe model).

TennsDog
06-29-2004, 04:55 PM
I had a rather ironic experience today with string savers. My strings had lost playability and the crosses lost their texture and had lots of wear. I somewhat wanted to break them but I also wanted to get a bit more spin. So I went ahead and filled in my sweet spot with what string savers I had. Not 10 min into a hitting session I snapped a cross right in the sweet spot. I can't say as I was surprised because I knew that the raised stringbed from string savers adds a bit of tension, perhaps negligable, and also puts more stress on the strings as they are biting into the ball more. I guess that could have been part of my intention. I found it amusing, though, that string savers broke my strings. I guess they are only good to prevent breakage do to notching. My strings broke from wear outward, no notching at all, not even on the mains.

spres
06-29-2004, 06:15 PM
some people belive that since the string savers raise the strings a little that you can generate a little more spin on your shots. Although if you want to add more spin you might as well use a spin string like prince topspin or another brand. If you don't break strings I would not use them.