PDA

View Full Version : Hit-away Tennis System

misa1125
05-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Hit-Away Tennis Training System. Its a heavy duty tennis ball on elastic that springs back everytime you hit it. I was thinking of giving it a try, but wanted some feedback first if anyone had some. Thanks

FH2FH
05-01-2006, 12:53 PM
I got one for $20. It's a heavy duty ball on a thick nylon(?) string. You must use a pole or similar device to allow it to "wind up" after you hit it so it will spin back to you. Their pole was $100, which was more than I was willing to pay. I actually made a pole with some 3" pvc (bends less than 2") and few other pieces for $10 in about 20 minutes. The base was rather unstable (more so the higher you put the straps or harder you hit it) though so I filled it halfway full of rocks and eventually used some weights on the base. About the balls, I hit very hard with spin and wore it out after 500-1000 strokes.

They give you an extra ball I think and you *MAY* be able to use a similar one from a sporting goods store. What I did was drill a hole into a ball and fashioned a plastic piece that is larger than the original "washer" they use to keep the string going through the ball. Then, my problem became the strings the ball goes on, haha.

Now I rarely use it. The hit-away system is good for timing the ball, but you have no idea where it would go if you were actually on a court. For that reason, I would suggest using a backboard or wall to practice on instead. I used it to strengthen my body, but obviously wore the balls out quickly. So, there are some down sides to using it. Basically, it may be good for learning initial timing, but a wall is a much better tool when you don't have a partner.

Dan007
05-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Hit-Away Tennis Training System. Its a heavy duty tennis ball on elastic that springs back everytime you hit it. I was thinking of giving it a try, but wanted some feedback first if anyone had some. Thanks

Don't buy it! It doesn't work at all. You know how in the commercial, you hit the ball and then wraps around the pole or a tree, but in real life after you hit it, it wraps around and doesn't come back to you like you see it in the commercial. The ball attatched to the stribg flies everywhere. I strongly recommand you to not to buy one.

FH2FH
05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
The harder you hit it, the better it winds and unwinds around the pole. While my 4 year old mis-times the shot often, I could hit it endlessly and not have this problem. Still, it isn't REALLy beneficial, so how important your $20 or $120 is up to you. That could be gas money to get to a backboard or pay for lessons.

theace21
05-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Save your money, and find a wall...Good Luck

raftermania
05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
good for winter time

dmastous
05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
I have one, still in the box. I got while I got my brother a softball swingaway. I never used it because I saw the trouble he had with his. You need a sturdy poll, and yes, to get it to work you need to hit hard so it winds quickly and snaps back.

mac777daddy
05-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Sounds like paddle ball to me. I doubt you would see much improvment from that device.

Courtcheck
06-26-2006, 10:48 AM
They have 2 at the brookstone out let for $29 pole included,
I'm not sure it's even worth that,
I have a 5 year old, think it's any good for Jrs?

dmastous
06-26-2006, 01:15 PM
They have 2 at the brookstone out let for $29 pole included,
I'm not sure it's even worth that,
I have a 5 year old, think it's any good for Jrs?
When I got mine (still in the box) the pole was about $95. I'd say it might be worth it at that price.

goblake14
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
I got one, wrapped it on a basketball hoop's pole and it broke the first day. It is a novel idea, but a poorly executed one. *Buyer Beware*