PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Hyper ProStaff 6.1 Racquets

perfmode
06-28-2004, 09:37 PM
What do you think of this stick? The TW review doesn't seem great but a lot of ITF and USTA players use it. That tour is basically HPS and i.Pres all the way. I am interested in it but I don't know many people who use it. What other racquet does it play like?

Coda
06-29-2004, 01:38 AM
I hear it plays like a Pure Control

Kevin Hawk
06-29-2004, 03:59 AM
Make sure that you're looking at the review of the 27" not the extended. This racquet is typical players frame in all the good ways. 12.2 oz (+_) and head light, it's rock solid from the baseline yet extremely manueverable at the net. Excellent POP when strung with Intellitour 17 and more controlled with Lux Alupower. This frame simply has no weaknesses. There is a reason this frame is the most popular on tour.

SC in MA
06-29-2004, 05:06 AM
I think Kevin Hawk's assessment of the HPS std is right on. It's a great all around frame that can suit any type of game.

I have both the HPS6.1 Std and Pure Control 2001. The HPS is more maneuverable and generally plays and feels lighter than the PC. This is especially noticeable as a set wears on and also on out-of-position, stretch shots where with the HPS I can get something on the ball with some control. With the PC on the same type of ball, I may get to the ball, but I'm unable to really do much with it.

I think the HPS gives me better overall control. However, if I have time to setup on a ball, I can put more on the ball with the PC (even though the PC is strung at 62, which negates the Woofer effect). I actually like the PC, but I play better overall with the HPS.

I haven't spent much time with other rackets, mostly just hitting for a few minutes with whatever frame a friend might be playing with. With that in mind, here's some fairly superficial impressions I had of other rackets compared to the HPS.

POG - HPS is more maneuverable with better feel. My recollection is that the POG felt kinda heavy. The POG mid maybe felt a tad bit more solid than the HPS, but the POG OS didn't feel as solid (maybe cuz I don't use an OS).

PS 6.0 85 & PS 6.1 Classic 95. - I recall that both these PS's are more solid, but heavier and less maneuverable. I love the solid feel of the PS 6.0 !

LM Radical OS (I think that's the name of it. It's the Agassi one.) - I just hit with this one for a few minutes last week. Very light. It felt tinny with a lot of vibration. Probably cuz I'm used to heavier sticks.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hawk
06-29-2004, 05:55 AM
Wow! "SC in MA" and I are in total agree on all the sticks he mentioned! Now here's a tip......try the new LM Prestige! I hit with "tarheelbornjohn" Prestige MP last week and it took maybe 5 min. to get used to! It's just a tad lighter and a bit more maneuverable than the 6.1 (which is itself very manueverable) but still provides good stability from the baseline with BETTER spin generation yet good POP! Now I see why Granville (TW tester) switched from his HPS 6.1 to the LM Prestige. Sweet stick! The only thing keeping me from switching right now is I want to test the nCode 6.1 first. Otherwise, the LM Prestige MP is the ONLY racquet I've ever tested that surpassed the HPS 6.1 for MY game. I also need to spend more time with the LM in order to insure that I wasn't just experiencing a "first date" type nirvana. Been there...

perfmode
06-29-2004, 07:02 AM
the LM prestige is out of my price range. thanks for all the feedback guys.

**edit**
The hps61 painjob is damn ugly though. the n61 looks sexier.

rondallrp
06-29-2004, 08:42 AM
I hit with the Pro Staff Hyper 6.1 for about 5 minutes. It was obvious why I see so many PS 6.1s in the hands of good hitters. Very solid racquet. If you are OK with the weight and balance of the frame, you can play with the string type and tension to make it fit your needs.

I went with the slightly lighter (more expensive) Prince Diablo MP to save my arm for the third set.

perfmode
06-29-2004, 09:15 AM
the diablo mp is nice but a little lighter than i want.

CliffH
06-29-2004, 09:27 AM
hey sc in ma & kevin hawke: old wilson players must think alike.

I agree with your opinions too. I have played with all of the wilson player sticks, excaept the hammers, which i can't get a feel for.

I demoed the head LM prestige 98 and found it to be great, as kh found. Some posters are noting that this frame is softer in the upper hoop and torturing some of the baseliners. I didn't feel the LMP was as solid and more dampened than the pstaff frames.

I have been waiting for the ncode, which i will grab a demo maybe today. Don't forget the ncode is replacing the HPS & tour, while a bunch of other frames like the Roc, ps95 more are being dumped :shock:

Also it appears the ncode is more dampened and softer like the LMP and it sounds like it is more than alittle like the LMP :shock: wilson's
roc was close to the prestige and aside from the babolats, is probably the main competition on the tour Maybe this is the crossover stick to lure the head players to switch to wilson. One of the posters in Japan, who has had the ncode for months, said the ncode6.1 was like a cross between the HPS and the LMP. lt's find out.

8)

aceindahole2K5
06-29-2004, 01:49 PM
yo perfmode......

tried a diablo mid?
simmilar to HPS 6.1, with a boxier beam, a tiny bit denser pattern, but slightly less stable and IMO more manuverable and more control

Diablo Mid and MP, very diff frames, as are the NXGs in diff headsizes, im not sure what prince was thinking

perfmode
06-29-2004, 04:34 PM
I haven't tried the mid.

aceindahole2K5
06-29-2004, 08:48 PM
do so, heavier than the midplus, kind of like the 6.1 with less pop and better manuverability, midplus=baseline bashing PD clone with better control, mid= all court 6.1, Warrior/Response kind of thing with less pop