PDA

View Full Version : What are the power holes ?

LordRaceR
06-29-2004, 05:33 AM
What are the power holes exactly? Some kind of grommet system like woofer or isn’t something else?

David Pavlich
06-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Power Holes are a stringer's favorite racquet advance! Yea, right. Actually, it's a slot cut into the internal section of the hoop. It allows the string bed to move a little more than a normal grommeted racquet.

Prince has the Sweetspot Suspension, Volkl has Big Grommets and Head has Comfort Zone, all of which allow the stringbed to float a bit.

The new Power Holes as seen on some of the new N Code racquets from Wilson aren't quite as miserable for the stringer. The slots are there but the grommet is visible without bending over and searching for it when stringing.

When the Wilson rep came in with the new racquets and mentioned power holes, I told him that he was p*****g off the stringer. He showed me that the grommets were visible, so I released him from a figure 4 leg lock.

David

corncob3466
06-29-2004, 07:57 PM
i was always skeptical of them. to me, i think they would rub against my strings and cut them.

kninetik
06-29-2004, 08:11 PM
While we are on the subject of racquet "technology". What are rollers? Everytime someone mentions, it is usually with extreme distaste in mind.

David Pavlich
06-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Another in a line of stringer's favorites.

Rollers are several small "wheels" shaped similar to a rim of a car that are placed north and south of the 3 and 9 o'clock position. The littel buggers actually rotate on a small shaft that is integrated into the frame. The theory is that the string will move easily on the roller allowing the string bed to be more resilient.

Truth be known, Wilson did it just to aggravate stringers.

David

corncob3466
06-30-2004, 07:53 PM
lol, dave, dont launch a mass attack on the wilson home office please. it would be bad to kill the racquet designers

Steve Huff
06-30-2004, 07:59 PM
David's right about the Power Holes. They're a stringers nightmare. When Silent Partner sponsors that speed stringing contest, they should have to use Power Holes. This would be a good way to hear new 4-letter words invented.