PDA

View Full Version : Finally went for Poly.... hope Kirschbaum is good!

thatballwas_IN
06-29-2004, 11:14 AM
I am still having my cross strings move too much and my balls still fly out too much for my liking, so I decided to try POLY and see if it helps.
I debated which to try, but the Kirchbaum prices were tough to argue with so I am trying both Touch Turbo and Competition.

I would love to hybrid them with natural gut, but I dont have that kind of bling-bling to spend on string so I will either do 1-piece stringing all Poly, or hybrid with Gosen JC syn gut 17....

I would have tried Babolat Hurricane too, but it was backordered... C'mon TW, it is supposed to be a WAREHOUSE... keep more stuff in stock!!! I also was intrigued by the Unique ALU-copy, but I wanted to spend around $8 and it is still too much.

sKrew luxilon, I am not paying 2x for the name... can't be that different can it?

I will be sure to post how the Poly-test goes from my normal string Technifibre NRG2 18g.

kentuckytennisdude
06-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Cant wait till I see the results. Im considering Kirschbaum myself..

RacquetDoctor
06-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Want a cheap Lux clone? Play with Ashaway Monogut...You'll be pleased...

borisboris
06-29-2004, 07:59 PM
:P I have used Kirsch for the last 4 yrs - tried many others but Kirsch is the best kept secret in tennis - UCLA mens team used SS in 99-00 season. Tennis Warehouse gets my kudos for carrying such a variety. I went from the SS to TT to Competition (just last week and won the Seattle City 4.5 singles). The Comp was incredible -had bite-power- crisp feel- I'm hooked. In my Final I started w/ the TT and won 6-4 -it had alot of power- then I switched to the Comp because I realized it wasn't going to break after my 1st 3 rds. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Good luck and have mercy on your partner

Matt H.
06-29-2004, 11:17 PM
if your CROSS strings are the ones moving too much, then switching to poly isn't the answer. It's the technique of your swing.

if anything, it would be the mains. Also, your string pattern has a say in that as well.

what racquet are you using? Have you tried increasing the tension to help keep the ball in?

Just my personal opinion, but i'm not a big fan of poly. Unless you're hitting heavy topspin, serving 115+ mph....it's somewhat of a waste.

It's "durable" in the sense that you won't break it during a match, but it loses the playability and tension so fast, that to me you're still in the same boat as nylon.

thatballwas_IN
06-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Matt, you do make some good points.
I use a Prestige Classic mid 18x20

I do hit with heavy topspin and big serves, so poly makes sense from that standpoint.
I will be slightly annoyed if I still have to restring constantly because the poly goes dead...

My current NRG2 string is probably perfectly fine, because I play great with it for 3-4 sets and then balls fly long and the string move all over. I just cannot afford the time/money of restringing 2x a week! So maybe poly will help...