PDA

View Full Version : Considering Head LM Prestige or Radical

TheBigToasty
06-29-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm looking for a new racquet because I'm fed up with string breakage and loss of control. At the time I'm stuck with an OS Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 with lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock positions. String gauges of 16 last me approximately 3 hours (haven't even touched higher than that in a long time). I've been trying 15L; So far it hasn't broken on me but I have minimum control and "bite" on my strokes and it feels absolutely awkward. I'm looking for a racquet with a dense string pattern and added control. I'm pretty confident on generating my own power and topspin (most of my errors fly long). However, I don't want a major drop in power or an extremely heavy racquet. Headlight racquets aren't a problem I guess because I can add lead later if needed. I've been looking at these two Head LiquidMetal racquets mostly for the 18x20 string pattern and control. Any suggestions on which one is more preferable. or other racquet suggestions? I'm mainly a comfortable baseliner seeking something able to retain rallies and provide touch for passing shots.

TheBigToasty
06-29-2004, 01:05 PM
And also doesn't cause string breakage easily! Plus, anyone have suggestions for string type (gauge or company) and tension for the racquet if I do get one.

Nosoupforyou
06-29-2004, 01:35 PM
If you don't want string breakage use a strong string like big banger or kevlar. Do the morally correct thing. Go with the prestige. You will regret it if you don't.

a verrry large duck
06-29-2004, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't pick the radical simply because the whole point of that racquet is pick-up appeal and heavy marketing. Go for the meat and potatoes. Not saying the LM Prestige MP doesn't have gimmick in it, but at least you'll have more touch with a heavier racquet.

KoolAidMan
06-29-2004, 02:51 PM
I have the exact same problem. Right now I am demoing a radical OS and a prestige mid. The other day, playing with my parents I loved the radical, but today playing with a kid my age (16) I think I liked the prestige a little better. I was able to block back serves if I needed to. I only have today and tomorrow left to demo, tonight I play with kids, tomorrow I play with adults. Hopefully that will help me decide. I think the radical is way more comfortable on the arm though.

raven5288
06-29-2004, 05:59 PM
bigtoasty, I too had a HH 5.3 but I was fed up with too much power. I opted for the prestige midplus and it has done wonders for my game. It has the control of the mid, but is ALOT more forgiving on offcenter shots. Also, try out Luxilon Big Banger ALU if you're a constant string breaker. It plays very well, has lots of power, very durable and doesn't move, which is always good. It's kinda expensive, so if price is a factor, try out Ashaway Monogut. I've heard it's very similiar to ALU and is alot cheaper. I have my ALU strung at 58.

strife726
06-29-2004, 09:19 PM
The good news is that this topic seems to have been done around 5 times already. With a little search, you can find lots of threads asking about comparisons of these two sticks.

TwistServe
06-29-2004, 09:57 PM
I've used both for about a month.. Check my sig for what I prefer.

Go Tennis
06-30-2004, 03:06 AM
If you have a Hammer, you should be like the Radical. Preference for the Ti. Radical.

rooski
06-30-2004, 05:24 AM
Going from a HH 5.3 OS to a LM Prestige MP is a big step. You are going from about 8 pts head heavy to 10 pts head light. Thats HUGE.

None of the other posters have asked or even considered your level and style of play so to automatically say LM Prestige is ludicrous. Yes it's a great racket but it may not be right for you. I would say you might want to consider the LM Rad OS which is a really nice stick. If you are a high 4.5+ then demo the LM Pres MP.

Lastly, before dropping some change on a racket...you might want to try this: String up your 5.3 with 17g poly mains and 16g syn gut crosses at 68-70 lbs. If you break that set up in less than 3 hrs I would say either a) your stringer is notching your strings during stringing or b) you hit more topspin than ATP tour pros.

Good luck.

TheBigToasty
06-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Alright thanks guys for the imput. I'll try that string setup, Rooski. Appreciate it.