PDA

View Full Version : Does this make any sense?

homerjsimpson
06-29-2004, 06:08 PM
I've been using the RD-7 recently, and while I know the flex is listed at 54, I always have a harder time keeping the ball in than with my iPrestiges. Can that be? Can the high swingweight of the RD-7 make it feel more powerful? In general, what is the interaction between swingweight and flexibility in how the racquet feels?

perfmode
06-29-2004, 06:14 PM
54?? damn that's a flexy racquet. Maybe your tension is low.

AAAA
06-30-2004, 01:19 AM
For amateurs like me it's easier to hit with better form using a lighter racquet. The iPrestige MP is alot lighter than the RD 7.

What string and tension do you have in your RD 7? Are flexible racquets more sensitive to different strings and tensions than stiffer racquets?

homerjsimpson
06-30-2004, 05:51 AM
I use the Babolat sensation, and string it at about 62. Don't get me wrong, I love the racquet, and it feels great and more solid than any other racquet I've ever played with, but I feel like I am fighting against myself during the swing.

christian
06-30-2004, 09:50 AM
babolat sensation huh? thats a new one

b.
06-30-2004, 11:03 AM
It sounds familiar to me. Had the same experience with r7. Fairly open string pattern, heavy...

I strung it on 32/31kg to keep it under control. Then, it played beautifully. Especially with gut (nice mixture of boardy and elastic feel).

In fact - that is the first and only reason to sell it. 32kg didn't want to stay with me long enough... It declined pretty fast.

Steve Huff
06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
The RD 7 is really easy to generate spin with. If you're hitting long, I'd bet you're hitting a lot of topspin. With this racket, you really grab the ball. It's probably leaving your stringbed at a higher projectory than with other rackets that don't grab the ball as well.