PDA

View Full Version : those numbers printed on tennis balls??

taponspin
05-06-2006, 12:52 AM
when you buy a certain tennis ball, let say the dunlop fort. notice they have numbers (1 or 2, i've seen 7)under the print--dunlop fort? i always wondered what those numbers mean. is there a difference between 1 and 3 for example?

XFactorer
05-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Usually they're 1 - 4... and they're just for denoting which court the balls should be on. Like, if you're playing with Dunlop 1 balls, the court next to you, if playing with Dunlop balls, should have different numbers... just to avoid mixing up balls of the same brand. That's about it, really. The numbers don't mean one's better than the other.

sharkey10s
05-06-2006, 07:03 AM
when you buy a certain tennis ball, let say the dunlop fort. notice they have numbers (1 or 2, i've seen 7)under the print--dunlop fort? i always wondered what those numbers mean. is there a difference between 1 and 3 for example?

I've never seen a 7 on a ball, just usually 1 through 4.

PurePrestige
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I think they only go 1-4. Whenever I teach little kids I tell them that the one who finds the ball with the #5 gets a prize.
No one's found it yet, but hey, at least the balls get picked up instead of them goofing off.
I wonder when they'll catch on. :-D

doriancito
05-07-2006, 08:17 PM
its to keep the balls in order and not mixing them

BreakPoint
05-07-2006, 10:16 PM
The balls marked #1 are only for your first serve and the balls marked #2 are only for your second serve. This way you know which ball to use for which serve. ;) LOL :mrgreen: