PDA

View Full Version : Questions from first time Poly user

SC in MA
06-30-2004, 04:49 AM
I have a few questions about Poly strings. For a little background, I'm not a string fanatic. I mostly just play with basic Prince or Gamma 16 synthetic gut. Occasionally, I might use TNT or Sensation, or something in that class.

After I broke a string recently, I decided to give Poly a try. So last week, I had my HPS 6.1 strung with Prince Poly Gut 16 at 60 or 62 lbs (I can't remember which). When I initially hit with it, I absolutely HATED it. The feel was harsh and very stiff and everytime I hit the ball, it made a very noticeable "ping" sound. It was awful. I was very fearful that my arm was going to suffer using these strings.

However, after the first couple of hours of play on clay (maybe 3 sets over two days), the ping sound gradually went away and the strings gradually, but noticeably softened. Is this normal for poly ? That is, initially stiff, then softens ?

Once the strings softened, they played absolutely GREAT. The ball strike became more of a thump/twack instead of a ping. More importantly, the poly string seemed to give me great control with very good pop. The ball had the feeling of staying on the strings longer. Also, I'm usually a moderate topspin guy, but I seemed to get a bit more spin on the ball. Additionally, the strings seemed to stay in place even after I hit the occasional heavy spin shot. If I can get poly strings to play like this all the time, I'm definitely a convert.

Is this how poly normally plays? I assume that after an initial loss of tension, the strings then softened. Do poly strings have just an initial loss of tension, or do they continue to lose tension over time? I love the way they play now, but I guess I'm concerned that if they continue to lose tension, that they'll become very springy.

In any event, any advice about Poly string will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

borisboris
06-30-2004, 08:54 AM
:P You just passed the POLY initiation. The strings lose tension -initial - but warm up for about 6 sets- this is the lively period when you can close your eyes and hit winners - then the strings gradually go flat yet if you have a tight string pattern then they will last for 5 yrs but your arm will be destroyed. Best to clip Poly after 6-7 sets - if your a tourney player. They might be costlier than syn and the tension might not hold but they play far superior if that means anything to your game. Some just want a durable string - soft string etc. Poly is not for all - I' m a big serve-big forehand player and it suits my gave perfect - if your a serve / volley I'd definitely go with a multi to stick the volleys. Trail & Error is how we progress. I have used Poly (Kirsch for 4 yrs) and just found my new secret weapon = Competition 17 ga. Awesome all round Poly for hard hitters. Good Luck P. S. The strings don't move. Another good Poly but $ = Gamma Zo pwr. Very Playable but breaks not typical poly durable.

a verrry large duck
06-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Yep that's great you're discovering the advantages of poly. They do kind of lose tautness fast (kirschbaum super smash 17 and luxilon alu power), but when they are fresh they are awesome control strings. Good news is a lot of polys are dirt cheap and if you're not too picky and dont' mind stringing before every tournament, this is a good way to go. I'd recommend trying gosen polylon. It's actually got some good feel for such a cheap thing while retaining the great poly characterstics

TennsDog
06-30-2004, 01:26 PM
I find that poly does lose tension quickly (day or two), but then settles into a good tension and playability. I use Babolat Ballistic Polymono 17 and it seems to hold tension indefinitly after the intial loss and the feel, control, etc never went away and not a bit of arm problems. I used my last set for probably about 20 hours until finally the crosses snapped, not even the poly.