PDA

View Full Version : Clay Court maintenance and costs

netman
06-30-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm trying to get my club to put in some softer surface courts. I was curous as to what kind of maintenance is involved and what the annual operating costs are for clay. Also, is red clay cheaper and easier to maintain than Hard Tru? Are there other soft surfaces (the goal is to protect knees and other joints) that can be used?

Any and all feedback/advice welcome/

Thanks

tennis-n-sc
06-30-2004, 03:29 PM
The initial cost is about 30% higher for clay than asphalt. If an under court hydration is used, the cost is higher still. The maintainence costs after installation consist of removing dead clay periodically and replacing. Sweeping after each match is done by members but if done by club employees will add costs. Court equipment is needed and consists of a minium of broom and strip wheel. Sometimes the wind will blow all the top off and will have to be replaced. The biggest longterm cost is water and it takes a lot to keep the court in top shape. Installation of a clay court over a hard court can save some initial costs. Hope this helps.

NoBadMojo
06-30-2004, 04:47 PM
not to mention rolling...you def need to invest in a rolling machine as well..and someone needs to use it often to keep a clay court in good shape. interesting you can put a clay court over an asphalt one..i always thought you started w. layers of gravel and other loose stuff for drainage beneath a clay court. i bet if you contacted har-tru corporation, they would be glad to help you. ed

netman
07-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. It sounds more expensive and labor intensive than we are prepared to take on at this time. I'm also investigating the syn turf with sand solutions like the Kramer Court surface.