PDA

View Full Version : Dense string patterns

PowerDaddy10
06-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Can a player with a western froehand really use a racket with a dense string pattern? I enjoy hitting my forehand with a lot of spin and a relatively flat backahnd. I plan on demoing a couple of rackets from the Yonex RDX line but instead of dismissing the HD I thougth I'd get some feed back first.

THANX

Gaines Hillix
06-30-2004, 12:15 PM
The grip used and racquet head speed have more to do with creating spin than the string pattern, string or tension. Given you use a western forehand grip and assuming you generate good racquet head speed and use the right low to high technique, you should be able to create good topspin. Maybe not as good as with an open pattern, but there are plenty of big topspinners out there who use racquets like a Head Prestige with a dense pattern.

Tommy Haas
07-01-2004, 08:51 PM
* deleted *

jayserinos99
07-01-2004, 09:10 PM
I used to use the iPrestige and for a time the PT280 and LM Prestige. I have a western forehand and the closed pattern doesn't hinder spin potential. There was an adjustment period at first as I was used to using open patterned racquets, but as long as I reminded myself to swing "low to high" there was enough spin.

sandro
07-02-2004, 12:44 AM
IMO a loss of spin is more evident with topspin serves. No problem with groundstrokes using proper tecnique.

K!ck5w3rvE
07-04-2004, 03:22 AM
I saw a racquet the other day (which I didn't know). The string pattern was 20x22. The dense-est string pattern I've ever seen.

Stormwolf
07-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I would say...a Semi-Western or Western forehand should use nothing more than 16x19 / 16x20. Any more mains and the ball won't have much bite. A 18x20 with 18 guage string might be OKAY, but I wouldn't recommend it.

TwistServe
07-06-2004, 08:09 PM
I play with a western forehand, and play with heavy topspin... The LM Prestige is my favorite racquet too, as I can get penty of topspin on it..

brijoel
07-07-2004, 01:17 AM
I would say...a Semi-Western or Western forehand should use nothing more than 16x19 / 16x20. Any more mains and the ball won't have much bite. A 18x20 with 18 guage string might be OKAY, but I wouldn't recommend it.

ya know the funny thing is, it would make more sense for a more open grip user to use a more open string pattern seeing as their natural shot is flat and it would be more advantageous to have an open string pattern to aid in manipulation of amounts of spin versus a western grip user who naturally has more spin production from the grip itself swung on any swing plane............lol

but whatever. :roll:

Tommy Haas
03-13-2006, 09:01 PM
* deleted *

Zverev
03-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Eternal topic because nobody really knows for sure.

Like "the pattern doesn't matter as long as you use proper technique and high racquet head speed. So you will be able to create good topspin with dense pattern, maybe not as good as with open pattern".

The key words are "doesn't matter" and "not as good" - they are diametrically opposite to each other.

That's where tennis science is - in bloody mess, despite all the clever books.

ace of spades
03-14-2006, 06:40 PM
No. Any string pattern is fine for eastern or semi-western. Just maybe not western, so much, but i make it happen. Also 18 guage string in a dense pattern gives ample spin, more than enough for even the loopy topspinners. I feel people should not dismis rackets just because they have a dense pattern, because with the right technique, you could spin with anything. Also, prestiges are perfectly fine with semi westerns, you a pc600er should know(maybe its just your style).